Avoiding Page Jumping

aneellu

Hi all,I have a situation where in a user selects a value in a combo list it gets submitted to server on onchange event to populateother combo lists.I have many combo lists in a page and after user selects value in a combo list then page gets submitted to server and after return vertical scrollbar jumps to the top instead of staying at the position when a value was selectedbefore submitting.This is new to me. Whether this problem can be solved using javascript....Any idea or help is appreciated....Thanks,Anil.

You might look into the scrollTop DOM property. If, just before you submit the form to the server, you tell the server what the current scrollTop value is for the body, the server could return that value back to the page in the response and you could have an onload event that looks for that scrollTop value from the server and then sets the position of the scrollbars to that value.Alternatively, depending on which server-side technology you are using, there may be a setting you can use on the server to remember scroll position for you. If you happen to be using ASP.NET, this search may come in handy:http://www.google.com/search?q=asp.net+scroll+position

You might look into the scrollTop DOM property. If, just before you submit the form to the server, you tell the server what the current scrollTop value is for the body, the server could return that value back to the page in the response and you could have an onload event that looks for that scrollTop value from the server and then sets the position of the scrollbars to that value.Alternatively, depending on which server-side technology you are using, there may be a setting you can use on the server to remember scroll position for you. If you happen to be using ASP.NET, this search may come in handy:http://www.google.com/search?q=asp.net+scroll+position
Hi jesh,Thanks for the reply.......Iam using java as my server side technology. Can you redirect to me any usefull links that discuss the problem.thanks Anil

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,Thanks alot for the hint you provided earlier :) I could use scrollTop DOM property to avoid Page Jumping, but i couldn't do it for anchor tag.when i click the anchor tag after postback it again jumps to the top.why scrollTop is not applicable to anchor tag....?Thanks in advance,Anil.

Archived