Displaying a text (*.txt) file

Guest Toby DaBrit

Guest Toby DaBrit

I have a text file (data.txt), which I would like to display in the middle or an html page.I'm going little loopy trying to find an answer to this. :) I've tried the Java/XML example, which kept on throwing up errors for me.Load a textfile into a div element with XML HTTP (JavaScript)Can anyone give me some pointers on where I can find a solution?BTW After that I need to get the java to refresh, preferrably without having to use:<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60">Thanks for reading.Toby

What do you mean is wrong? What do you need with it?And you could use javascript to do it. Like this:<script type="text/javascript">function goThing(){window.location=window.location}t=set Timeout("goThing()","60")</script>

if you really want to load an external text file inside your HTML, use javascript, but as Shinta suggested, PHP or ASP would be piece of cake...java script:1. save your 'data.txt' as 'data.js'2. inside your 'data.js':--------myVar = "put your data here, and, if necessary, escape Toby's strings like \"this\" \"because\" \"you\" \"may\" \"like\" \"quoting\" \"everything\"";--------(i exagereted because i had fu**** hard time scripting with javascript in the beginning without knowing about escaping strings, and no one needs to go through i went... [+s everywhere...])3. inside your html (where u want your data to be loaded:--------<script language="javascript" src="data.js">document.write(myVar);</script>--------With PHP simple (if your server runs PHP):<?include('data.txt');?>inside ur html page...

<script language="javascript" src="data.js">document.write(myVar);</script>
There is no attribute "language".....the NEW one is: type="text/javascript"So, if you try it in XHTML (& even HTML) & try to validate it, then you will get a warning: There is no such attribute.so........ :)