Cricket Management Game

unknown123

HiI am creating a online cricket management game where a user competes with other teams that are manged by other users from all around the world. The users will be able to control their finances, coaching their team by hiring coaches, buying and selling players from other users to improve their team. The users will be able to watch a live scorecard as the game is played.Something similar www.cricketclubmanager.com & www.battrick.org to this but better.I have already have started designing my website, so far i have done the main pages of the website, fully working database and the login system using PHP/MySql.The part that I am stuck on is the coding for the online game itself, which I have not started at all. I have no idea how i am going to all the calculations for the game, for example, when the game is being played in real time. Can anyone help me with this or head me the right direction.Thanks In Advance

It sound very complex, and lots and lots of math.Helpfull hint.Decide exactly what the players will be able to do with their players. list in order of imporantance, and start form the top and keep adding as you go.I believe that if you spend 90% of your time planning, you will a successfull design, it you only spend 10% of your time planning. You will spent 90% of your time redoing everything over and over and over and over again and once you think you have it figured out, you will spend another 90% doing it over and over and over again.Another helpfull hint, i don't think cricket is as popular or an exciting website as say maybe baseball, ask people for help as if it was a baseball program and they will toss in their 2 cents. THEN you can transfere what they have said to apply to the cricket game, Otherwise, their mentality is, i don't like cricket and they move on to the next thread.Last but not least,this does not sound like a one man project, you might need to recuit a few more web designer that are passionate about the game.

How do you have access to the game stats? If you want to develop a real-time application that works off something like sports stats, you will need some way for the application to always have access to the current stats, so that as soon as any stat changes your application will reflect the change. So, the first question is, how can you access the stats in the first place?

Well, you need to figure out where you're going to get the stats from before you can design anything else. You need to find some place online that publishes real-time sports stats, and when you do talk to them about a relationship where they provide the stats to your site. This isn't something that you'll just want to start using something online without letting them know about it, if they shut off requests from your client then your application is useless.

Ah, I thought you were doing something similar to the fantasy football leagues that people do here. In that case you can write the game using something like Flash, since all the stats will be on your own server that should work fine. You'll need something on the server that can run to actually play the game, and then all of the Flash clients will check with the server periodically for updates to the game. I'm not sure how the game gets played though, is it totally controlled by the server and just random chances of things happening, or are there people controlling the players? This is a pretty complex system though regardless, you will need some pretty good experience with Flash to be able to do something like this.

Well, you'll need something like a Perl, Python, or PHP script that you can run to actually play the game between the two teams. Obviously you woulnd't want the script to take an hour to run if the game is supposed to last for an hour, so the script would probably run real quick and put all the stats in a database, with maybe a timestamp for each event or something like that, and then the clients would be set up to poll the server periodically and get the next results, or the client could download all the results at once and then display each stat as it comes up. There are a lot of design decisions to make with something like this. It would realistically take between 300-600 hours to design, develop, and test the various pieces.

Archived