Tool Tip

webspider25

Hi all,I wanted to add the tool tip in my web page but i dont know how to do that.i want to add the tip tool on my links.....eg<a href="#">Home</a>(When the user put his cursor on the Home the tool tip shuld appear and display the description abut the "Home page")So any one out there help me ....Waiting for repliesBye

Hi Rx,Its Working as i wanted :) but noe i want sum thing more into it.I want my tool tip to be very decorative.......Hw cn i change the background-color,border-color etc in the tol tip???Help me once again.Waiting for replybye

<a title="The tool tip you want here" href="">Home</a>

Some of the things on that page don't work in Opera, like the image tooltip and the text counter. And some of the tooltips that hover over block elements are getting cut off.I've used Walter Zorn's tooltip library before, it works very well and has quite a few features like fading, speech bubbles, etc. It looks like he's put quite a bit of effort into keeping it up to date.http://www.walterzorn.com/tooltip/tooltip_e.htm

It looks like a z-index issue, there's no z-index on this class:a.info:hover spanAlso, you can replace something like this:<a href="#"with this:<a href="java script:void(0);"and the page won't jump when you click the link, it won't do anything.

Guest FirefoxRocks

Wow that is quite interesting as I didn't know how to do that before. May I have your permission to include that in my website as a code snippet? It will be licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license.Oh and your page has 2 XHTML errors in it, forgetting the </p> and omitting the alt attribute. :)

Sure thing, FFRocks. and I think I fixed those earlier while I was rattling around in there. I added a z-index, like justsomeguy suggested, and reviewed cssplay, too, but it simply doesn't work in a current Opear browser. Seems to me I played with opera once upon a time and had it working, but it was quite a while ago. Opera 7, if i recall.And Zorn javascript code is excellent, indeed, but it is javascript... I always prefer to work in CSS if possible.Checking your posting time, it may have been after you saw the page...*edit*Thanks, folks...Updated, changes the anchors and placed a note about Opera.http://www.jlhaslip.trap17.com/samples/tooltips/index.html

Hi all,Thanks for ur replies..............Cant we add the tooltip(advanced) by the css only???As i am in the learning phase of javascript and the javscript-long-coding makes me sick.............So any one can tell me how to add the tooltip not single line multiple lines than plsthanksbye

Sure thing, FFRocks. and I think I fixed those earlier while I was rattling around in there. I added a z-index, like justsomeguy suggested, and reviewed cssplay, too, but it simply doesn't work in a current Opear browser. Seems to me I played with opera once upon a time and had it working, but it was quite a while ago. Opera 7, if i recall.And Zorn javascript code is excellent, indeed, but it is javascript... I always prefer to work in CSS if possible.Checking your posting time, it may have been after you saw the page...*edit*Thanks, folks...Updated, changes the anchors and placed a note about Opera.http://www.jlhaslip.trap17.com/samples/tooltips/index.html

<a class="info" href="#">display text<span>Tool Tip Text Here</span></a>This is the code that I got on ur link....But its not complete :) As u r using the class="info" but where is the code of the class????Actually this is wat i really needed and ur link will help me a lot if i got that code tooWaiting for the codeBye

There is no javascript in my link, just CSS.

HI,Thnaks a lot .....I got the code and its very very useful for methanksbye

<a class="info" href="#">display text<span>Tool Tip Text Here</span></a>This is the code that I got on ur link....But its not complete :) As u r using the class="info" but where is the code of the class????Actually this is wat i really needed and ur link will help me a lot if i got that code tooWaiting for the codeBye

Guest FirefoxRocks

Ok before I put it on my site, I would like to know if it is the images thing that is incompatible with Opera or is it the whole CSS thing?Also, is this compatible with IE7 only or does IE6 work with it also? I thought that IE6 didn't have support for :hover pseudo-class.

Opera seems to not like any of them. Still checking some stuff on that issue, but it doesn't look promising. Just got a new Opera today, so I will continue to work on it.IE doesn't mind any of it at all, but you will notice that all of the 'tool tip info' is inside an anchor tag, so IE6 will react properly, because as you point out, IE6 will only recognize the hover pseudo-class for <a> tags. Only IE issue would be to not use a .png formtted images, since IE doesn't play well with those (yet). IE7 is better, though not perfect...

Archived