colours

mkwatis

meaning of colours? in what way?As in the hex code like #000000 is black etc..??If so, do you have a photo editer? I think paint has it but i uninstalled it without knowing...If you have photoshop then that has a colour chart displaying the colour and the 6 figure to go with it, or any decent photo/picture editing software.or if your a cheap skate - http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html:)

@'scott100' hi dude ineed to know the meaning of colours since i want to create a web hence im afraiding to usedifferent colourpse helpme on this
Excuse me for the question, but... how old are you?Today (and since quite a few years back) schools around the world (or at least here... I can never be 100% sure about the rest of the world) teach how to read hex colors.You need to know what a hex number is, and this is also teached in school (in math classes).If you know at least that, but haven't had IT classes (possible if you turn out to be too old rather then too young), then the only thing you need to know is that the first two digits represent the amount of "red", the second two "green" and the last two are "blue".

It's always best to know how to compute and realize hexadecimal colors mathematically. This reduces your dependence on using either the same set of colors over and over, or that you rely on programs and sites to provide you with the HTML Hex Colors. Learn something about Base 16, it's relatively easy.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_16

Guest FirefoxRocks

Actually I am in grade 9 but the school didn't teach hexadecimal numbers yet. I do know some colours by memory (like #fa0 is for orange) but I do refer to colour charts at times.I can't compute hexadecimal values either, it is too confusing. I use Windows Calculator to cheat. :)

I never learned any other bases other then base 10 until I started taking computer classes in college, number systems aren't something that general math courses teach in the USA. I don't blame them either, my communications major roommate has absolutely no use for converting between base 10 and any other base, there's no need for him to learn that. I need it because I'm a programmer, so they taught us that in the programming classes, but it's not a part of general study in the US.

All I know is:#FFFFFF = white#000000 = black#CCCCCC = light grey#666666 = dark greyEverything else I have to look up or use code quick - so that must mean I'm an idiot. :)

Well, hex numbers are not something even our math classes "teach" as in, they don't teach us how to compute those numers... but they do mention them, so that we know what a hex number is when we hear one and teach how to convert them to decimal numbers. That is more then enough I'd say. I'm not sure when they thought us that though. It was only one or two classes in a previous year.... maybe the middle of 9th grade or 10th grade... I can't really remember.And we also have IT classes where they teach us general stuff about computers (there's never anything new for me there really... except Pascal). Hex colors and (invalid) HTML 4 are in the program (of 11th grade), and since they also teach things like the "bgcolor" attribute, they also explain how hex colors work.Oh, and I certainly refer to color charts as well. The fact that I know what a digit means and can turn it to it's decimal doesn't mean I can visualize how 9A red will combine with F0 green and C7 blue.

Guest FirefoxRocks

I had to teach invalid HTML 4.01 to my class last year in grade 8. Everyone wanted to use <font>, <center> and bgcolor. Almost every had more than 1 <body> element, when I told people you shouldn't use those everyone wanted me to type in some "code" with the style attribute.It was quite a chaos trying to teach HTML as the teacher wasn't there and a substitute was in, no one listened to anything.

All I know is:#FFFFFF = white#000000 = black#CCCCCC = light grey#666666 = dark greyEverything else I have to look up or use code quick - so that must mean I'm an idiot. :)
#FF0000 = red#00FF00 = green#0000FF = blue
Those are the only rules I work with. Combining Red, Green and Blue light makes white. I know that if I use equal amounts of Red, Green and Blue, I get some variant of grey, and the lightness depends on how high the values are (0 is dark, lack of light, and F, or 255, is the maximum amount). Red+Blue=Magenta. Red+Green=Yellow. Blue+Green=Aqua. Also useful is that the standard 16 colors are variations of 00 combined with 80 or FF.Usually I'll just approximate a colour, based on knowing what colours I'm actually combining, unless a spesific colour name is desired, then I'll look it up.