IP address identification

anggwaponi

hi and good day.i dunno if i have posted this inquiry of mine in the right board but if ever it isn't in the right location, kindly informed me so i can transfer it.any way, my concerned is how to identify an IP address where it came from? i mean for example i'm chatting in YM or MSN, in what way could i possible know where is my chatmates located? would i ping my chatmates YM or MSN ID? and if ever its an email, how would i know also its starting point?correct me if i'm wrong but each country are being an IP address only intended or dedicated for that country? hope anyone in here also can tell what is the governing body in the world that will assign IP address.i'm not asking in here the exact location of my chatmates or where the email sender where abouts but only the way on how to understand the technology well.hope anyone in here can really assist or share their expertise.thanks:)

Go to dnsstuff.com and use the tools there to do a geolocation by IP. It should tell you the city and country.The governing body for IP address assignment is called ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, currently a U.S.-based organization.

i mean for example i'm chatting in YM or MSN, in what way could i possible know where is my chatmates located? would i ping my chatmates YM or MSN ID?and if ever its an email, how would i know also its starting point?
all yours referred above (Y!M, email ...) don't allow you to know the IP of others

Archived