Total Newbe abbr and bdo

Guest Jenny Marie

Guest Jenny Marie

1)What would the difference be in using abbr and acronym?It seems like the action is the same. Is it just a way to signify different actions for your own purposes? the display doesn't seem any different.2)bdo, why? Is there a later to be revealed purpose?

Guest FirefoxRocks

1. For <abbr>, it is supposed to indicate an abbreviation, like etc for et cetera and Thurs for Thursday. <acronym> is supposed to indicate an acronym, like LOL for laugh out loud, or any shortform word that uses the beginning letters of a phrase.In XHTML 2, <acronym> is removed because there is much confusion about when to use what. Technically, acronyms are also abbreviations. I tend to use <abbr> for quite a lot of stuff, including acronyms. Instead of putting something like:

<acronym title="Extensible Hypertext Markup Language">XHTML</acronym>

I use:

<abbr title="Extensible Hypertext Markup Language">XHTML</abbr>

You can style both with CSS, and I don't think it makes much difference, but please read on:In HTML5, <acronym> is kept for its own weird purposes. My guess is that semantically, some user agents do treat the two of them differently, so it is being kept.2. I do not know much about <bdo>. Perhaps it is meant to be used to be used for entertainment purposes. :)