Attaching Downloads to a Page

King_Karlssen

I received a website of my own for christmas, www.kingkarlssen.net, I have taken a couple of code and design courses at school. But I can't find anyone that knows how to attach a download to a web page. Something some one can download from my site to they're computer. Anyone know how to do this?

hi there..welcome to the forumits very simple.<a href="somefile.pdf">download this!</a>upoad somefile.pdf to the same directory as the webpage, and put in that link in the page. then all the user needs to do is right click and save as.it can work with pretty much any file, .exe .mp3 .jpg .txt .doc .zip .mpeg etc...

yeah, expanding on real_illusion's reply . . . anything that you want to act as a "download" would be anything that a web browser cannot process. If a browser knows what to do with a file, i.e. jpg gif html, then it will render it - otherwise it will prompt the user to download.Of course, this can very from browser to browser and therefore user to user. If I do not have PDF installed, then I'll be prompted to download. But, if I have PDF plug-in installed, the file will get loaded in my browser. keep that in mind. :)

yep:)I'd make sure the target is a new window, so you dn't have folks accidently closing the file and your site when they were just interested in closing the file . . . <a href="xxxxxx.xxx" target="_blank">download xxxxxx here</a>