WHERE

user4fun

I have a code that emails me the entry a user inputs in a search boxt to serach my website. How can i add something to that simple email code that will give me an idea as to where the user is from.I know geocities have a program that gives exact cities and country, but is there something in php that give you a general geographical area.If not, is there any thing other taht geocities to use.also, how can i know as to where the users are finding my site?I know it is not a search engine becaues i am probably listed on page 500 lol

Well,First, you could ask people to enter their zip code in a text input next to their search criteria to get the most accurate measure without being to invasive. But anything you do on the server side to do a reserve look up on their IP address is only going to give you information on where there service provider has their DNS servers set up - and that could be very misleading.Your hosting service should have some statistics to go along with your site. If not, take a look at Google Analytics

oooh my god???I almost bought $150 software that does half of what google analytics does, and google's is FREE.It is a sick world out there!!!!Thank you
Not necessarily... Google is a huge company that can afford to build something cool and give it away for free, because they already built it for something they needed to do. Where as, Joe Programmer wants a little compensation for all the time and energy (s)he puts into the product (s)he offers.

Not necessarily... Google is a huge company that can afford to build something cool and give it away for free, because they already built it for something they needed to do.
Not necessarily... Google can afford to give away their work for free because they make all their money in advertising, not software sales.

And by giving it away, they do still make money, because then they are able to reach a wider audience.

Archived