<select> option text size

Jerry62704

I have a select group where the size of the display window is a little too little (height) for the decenders on the letters to appear. Changing the height of the box via CSS only goes so far and then it separates the scrolling bar from the display area. I put in scrolling so the Spanish version of the text wouldn't make the display area a ton wider.Is the height of the display text area variable? If so, how do I vary it? I've changed the height style from 2 to 3.5em only to have he space between teh scroll bar and the text widen.TIA

code?or Link? (better)
Unfortunately, the part I'm working on is behind a firewall. The behavior is standard to the element AFAIK. The <option> display text with decenders has the decender not viewable either hidden by the drop list box or below the box. We have one input in our Mobius system that has almost 1/3 the letter missing from the bottom of the box (but that is in a very small font).Using all caps eliminates most decenders in the fonts we use, but it is wrong to use all caps as we are not mad at the users and don't want to be shouting at them.Here is the code (we use Struts - don't get me started on that!):
   <fieldset title="Standard Utility Allowances/Cantidad estándar permitida para servicios públicos">      <div class="textLeftBold">         <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility"/></div>      <div class="formBoxAlign2">         <html:select styleClass="longdroplists" styleId="utilityStandard" property="utilityStandard">            <html:option value="none">               <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility.none"/></html:option>            <hStml:option value="liheap">               <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility.liheap"/></html:option>            <html:option value="heat">               <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility.heat"/></html:option>            <html:option value="multi">               <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility.multi"/></html:option>            <html:option value="single">               <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility.single"/></html:option>            <html:option value="tele">               <bean:message key="fs.calc.input.utility.tele"/></html:option>         </html:select></div>   </fieldset>

Archived