Help with web-page

crowheart

I am total newbie when it comes to creating web-pages, but I did manage to create one that is xhtml 1.0 strict compliant and used an external style sheet as well(basically a simple family-vacation page with some text and lots of pictures) . I have submitted the site to both Google and Yahoo for inclusion in their directories; and I have checked the site out in different browsers and it looks pretty uniform across all. My issue is I noticed that my individual pictures also show up in the google directory. My main page has thumbnails that are linked to pictures that are created on their own html page and in their own folder, but they are tied into the same main page. I am not hot-linking them from another directory. In others words thumbnail 1 links up to html1. Html1 shows up solo on the search engine as well without an option to go anywhere from there. My newbie xhtml brain says" just create links in the solo html1 page pictures back to the main page", but something tells me that is probably the least effecient way to handle that problem. Not sure how to handle this without reworking the entire site, which I really don't want to do. I really enjoy this forum and I am hoping to learn lots of new things here. Any help would be appreciated. ThanksPeace...

What problem are you trying to solve? Is the problem that your pages are appearing on Google? Is the problem that your home page is not appearing?
My home page is appearing on google that is ok . My issue is I noticed that my individual pictures also show up in the google directory. My main page has thumbnails that are linked to pictures that are created on their own html page and in their own folder, but they are tied into the same main page. I am not hot-linking them from another directory. In others words thumbnail 1 links up to html1. Html1 shows up solo on the search engine as well without an option to go anywhere from there. My newbie xhtml brain says" just create links in the solo html pages pictures back to the main page so that someone who stumbles across this orphaned page can take it back to the main page", but something tells me that is probably the least effecient way to handle that problem. Not sure how to handle this without reworking the entire site, which I really don't want to do. So essentially I am aking how do I prevent this from happening. Let's say i have 7 thumbnailed pictures on my index.html web-page; those thumbnails link up to a folder I created with each photo having its own web page. Thumnail1 links up to html1 which blows the picture up in size for the viewer when the thumbnail is clicked on the index page. As I stated google has put some of those individual html picture pages in its directory. I don't want these pictures viewed independently like that. I am just trying to find a simple remedy. Or is this possibly just the way it is and I have to live with it? I am very new at this so I am hoping this is a good forum to learn from mistakes like this.

It's not necessary to say everything again, I understand what the situation is.

Html1 shows up solo on the search engine as well without an option to go anywhere from there.So essentially I am aking how do I prevent this from happening.
Well, the obvious answer is to add links on your picture pages to the main page. Either that, or add meta tags to your picture pages so that they do not get indexed by Google. I don't understand what the problem is. You could add code to redirect the user if they came from Google, but I hate clicking on a search result and having it take me to a different page. But if you're saying "people click the results to load a picture but there's no link to my main page, how do I fix that", obviously the answer is to add a link to your main page.

It's not necessary to say everything again, I understand what the situation is.Well, the obvious answer is to add links on your picture pages to the main page. Either that, or add meta tags to your picture pages so that they do not get indexed by Google. I don't understand what the problem is. You could add code to redirect the user if they came from Google, but I hate clicking on a search result and having it take me to a different page. But if you're saying "people click the results to load a picture but there's no link to my main page, how do I fix that", obviously the answer is to add a link to your main page.
Well thanks for your help. I guess the meta tag route sounds like the best option to me. Is this the proper code to use for the meta tags to keep the page from getting indexed and archived?<meta name="robots, googlebot" content="noarchive, noindex" /> Thanks again..

Thanks again for your help.Peace...
<meta name="robots, googlebot" content="noarchive, noindex" /> This is possibly wrong I think, or least the googlebot value isn't needed because I want to prevent all robots from archiving, and indexing <meta name="robots" content="noarchive, noindex" /> Robots would prevent googlebot and all robots from archiving and indexing.Much to learn yet...

Archived