search engines

user4fun

I knw i ahve started this in the past, the results were not very filling so i decided to make a new post.How to improve your search engine listing, start with basic stuff if you want.
I advise you not to loose time with SEO. SEO is a moving target that won't get you far. What will get you far is quality content.However, if you really want to know more about SEO then I advise you to buy Aaron Walls SEO book. The book is not cheap ... I bought it some 2 years ago for something like 80 USD.I won't tell you where to find the book because I don't want to be accused of advertising. If you have decent skills with a search engine then I am sure that you will find it.

I won't tell you where to find the book because I don't want to be accused of advertising.
If you're already referring someone to a product related to a topic someone else started you won't get accused of advertizing for posting a link to it. There's not much difference in mentioning a book and linking to it in such a case. The advertizing type that is prohibited is typically blatant.There's a big difference anyway in posting a link to a page like Amazon.com showing a product you can easily buy elsewhere, and posting a link to a site/product/software you are behind or backing that you can't get anywhere else, with the intention of getting the reader to spesifically buy/go to such.In short, nobody's out to get you. Use your common sense and you (most likely) won't get in trouble.It can't hurt reading the rules either. Don't know if you have or not, but they're easy to find in every forum.

If you're already referring someone to a product related to a topic someone else started you won't get accused of advertizing for posting a link to it. There's not much difference in mentioning a book and linking to it in such a case. The advertizing type that is prohibited is typically blatant.There's a big difference anyway in posting a link to a page like Amazon.com showing a product you can easily buy elsewhere, and posting a link to a site/product/software you are behind or backing that you can't get anywhere else, with the intention of getting the reader to spesifically buy/go to such.In short, nobody's out to get you. Use your common sense and you (most likely) won't get in trouble.It can't hurt reading the rules either. Don't know if you have or not, but they're easy to find in every forum.
I will keep that in mind.The book in question can be found here:http://www.seobook.com/It really was the first returned page on Google for the terms "Aaron Walls SEO book", so the person starting this threads could have easily found it. :) This book is good: it teaches you almost all you need to know about SEO and the writer has a "mathematical mind", by that I mean that his explanations are clear and precise. The main drawback is price ... 79 USD is not cheap.For some corporate web site where you cannot win the search engine battle with content (purely because there is not so much content to put online) SEO is the only alternative, so you might want to think into buying that book.OTOH, if you have a site with good content and a software package that is well optimized for SEO (let's say VBulletin) then you don't need to spend time and money with SEO. Of course, I am speaking about on-page SEO. Off-page SEO can always improve things.

• 1 month later...
I advise you not to loose time with SEO. SEO is a moving target that won't get you far. What will get you far is quality content...
I'm not sure this statement sits well with me - at least the way the position is stated. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) should be done on EVERY site regardless if search engines are the priority site referral source pursued by the author. The reason why SEO is important is plain and simple - it ensures that good content is represented in a package that is legible and easy to use. Additionally, if no time is spent on search engine marketing, then what ever trickles your way will have more positive results than negative.For instance, if I ignored SEO by my site or a page on my site hit a good spot for some reason or another, if SEO best practices (at the very least) were ignored, then my site could be penalized and even removed from a search engine index. Why would you defer free, unsoliticted, qualified leads to your site?The web, in general, is a moving target and a website that doesn't understand or consider that should (and eventually will) be off-line.Now, what I will say is that you may not need to invest a great deal of time and effort in creating SEO pages or sites. You simply may be focused on more conventional means of driving traffic to your site. In fact, that is the advice I've given plenty of my clients in the past - focus on traditional means to drive traffic then integrate online marketing (including search engines). But any residual effects of an online presence should not ignored or pushed aside.As for other SEO tips:
  • your keywords should be different on every page - unique to the content it represents
  • use HTML properly, valid pages
  • use <h1> (one per page) and <h2> through <h6> tags as often as possible
  • use CSS to get the header tags to behave like regular strong or italic tags
  • use HTML tag attribute appropriately, mainly "title" and "alt"
  • keep keyword injection to no more than 5% to 10% of your page ocntent
  • get listed in a directory like dmoz.org
  • minimize out of domain links, focus on meaningful (not web ring) links to your site

Hope that clears things up a little.

Archived