Hi!

Malcolm53

Hi All,I can't call myself an expert yet, but my website is now over two years old and, predictably, sucks up quite a lot of free time. I started out on a MSN Groups site, but it wasn't long before I kind of outgrew it and got my own domain. So there I was with an empty site - what to do? Should I find another text editor or learn how to write html. So I transferred some of my old MSN pages, came across W3 Schools and started to learn. Sometimes, when in a hurry, I'd use a text editor and regret it the moment I wanted to make a few changes (all that extra code to search through to tweak a font size or colour).Now my pages look as I would like them to be, the code is mine and easy to change, and I really feel like I have created and learned something. Also, as I resize pictures properly, I've still got tons of disk space free and don't have to worry about what to delete. The next thing I'd like to do is make my galleries easier to use. Any tips out there?Check out my local interest pages on:http://www.vaasapages.com/Best regards,Malcolm53

Hi there.I see you have used a table design, last time I made a page with images in a table box gallery. Some people else where I asked made that point of not using them for presentation. :)

Hi Html (interesting name)Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. My current way is pretty labour intensive, but one has to have a hobby, right?Have a nice one,Malcolm53

Hi there.I see you have used a table design, last time I made a page with images in a table box gallery. Some people else where I asked made that point of not using them for presentation. :)

Hi All,I can't call myself an expert yet, but my website is now over two years old and, predictably, sucks up quite a lot of free time. I started out on a MSN Groups site, but it wasn't long before I kind of outgrew it and got my own domain. So there I was with an empty site - what to do? Should I find another text editor or learn how to write html. So I transferred some of my old MSN pages, came across W3 Schools and started to learn. Sometimes, when in a hurry, I'd use a text editor and regret it the moment I wanted to make a few changes (all that extra code to search through to tweak a font size or colour).Now my pages look as I would like them to be, the code is mine and easy to change, and I really feel like I have created and learned something. Also, as I resize pictures properly, I've still got tons of disk space free and don't have to worry about what to delete. The next thing I'd like to do is make my galleries easier to use. Any tips out there?Check out my local interest pages on:http://www.vaasapages.com/Best regards,Malcolm53
Do you want to make any money with that page ? Then you need to hire a web designer.Even if you only want a personal page you should still consider a web designer. For example, you could hire a web designer from a Easter European country because it is cheaper: Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine etc. You can get a nice design for 150 - 200 euros, but depending on your requirements (your page seems quite simple) you can get cheaper.The problem with the "web design" is that you cannot truly "learn it" - you need a bit of talent. Programming ... you can learn it, but with design... better let other people do it for you.

Do you want to make any money with that page ? Then you need to hire a web designer.Even if you only want a personal page you should still consider a web designer. For example, you could hire a web designer from a Easter European country because it is cheaper: Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine etc. You can get a nice design for 150 - 200 euros, but depending on your requirements (your page seems quite simple) you can get cheaper.The problem with the "web design" is that you cannot truly "learn it" - you need a bit of talent. Programming ... you can learn it, but with design... better let other people do it for you.
Hi,I see that you are yourself from Bucharest in Romania, but I'm curious to know why you join in a site like W3Schools if you think we all need to outsource our coding.I do it for fun and self-improvement - that's why I don't hire a software company to do it for me.Have a nice day :-)Malcolm53

I see that you are yourself from Bucharest in Romania, but I'm curious to know why you join in a site like W3Schools if you think we all need to outsource our coding.
What this has to do with my reason for joining W3Schools ?I never said that you need to outsource your coding, I said that you could outsource the web design.Do I feel some nationalist thing here ? Those people from Eastern European countries are coming to take our jobs ...You should not start me on this one. Let me tell you something about myself: I have 6 years of experience and in those 6 years I worked in many places (in this exact order): Morocco, Germany, France-Paris, Romania, France-Bordeaux, Cyprus, Israel and China. Now I am back in Romania and I have started my own business. When I started to work (back in 2000) Romanians did not have working rights for any of the above countries. I never worked illegally so I always had to convince those companies to make me papers. In order to do that I had to take many exams with very high grades. For example I took a SCJP exam (Java) from SUN with 95% grade and an XML exam from IBM with 87% grade. Besides those generic exams, there were always tests in the company that you also had to pass brilliantly, otherwise they would just hire somebody from the local market.Are you getting my point ? Just like me, in the eastern block, there are thousands of excellent developers highly motivated ready to move where the money are. No company in the world can afford to ignore them. Are they a threat to the unskilled work force from any country ? You *bet* *they* *are*. Globalisation works for them, and that is unstoppable.A few days ago I was reading a blog of some IT guy from America and he was saying that he was unable to find an IT job for the past 2 YEARS !!!! Of course, he was blaming outsourcing. Can you imagine that ? A guy in a country in which there are hundreds of thousands of IT jobs cannot find 1 job for him in 2 years ! Those kinds of people were protected until now and they are still protected, but not for long. It is just a matter of time before EU will join a free market with the US and then the brilliant people from Eastern Europe will make the money in the US (or else where) and guys like the one I mentioned earlier will pump the gas in a gas station.Why ? Why is that happening ? Because sometimes in life, the right thing do happens. And that is the right thing: you should be hired based on personal value and not based on the place were you are born.Regards,RazvanPS: Some more bad news for you. Microsoft has headquarters in Bucharest, IBM has, Oracle has. As my company grows we will definitively get into the outsourcing business and I am just proud to be part of this.

I think you missed his point. His point isn't that outsourcing is wrong or that Eastern European people can't be trusted, his point is that he wants to learn how to do it for himself. My roommate and business partner was born in Bucharest and lived there 13 years, he has a good work ethic, but regardless of who is doing the work or how good they're doing it or how much they're being paid, he's not getting the experience of having done it himself. That's what the w3schools site is there to teach and that's what this forum is here to support.Sure, in business it often makes more sense to hire someone else to do something for you for less money then you are getting paid to do it yourself, but most people on this forum are here because they want to learn how to do it themselves.

Hi Razvan,Let's settle down here. Yes, you did read me wrong my friend. I am a foreigner in a strange land myself - I'm a Brit in Finland, and 20 years ago that wasn't so easy either. I don't give a dingbat's kidney where people come from, I 'judge' everyone as I meet them (there's plenty of morons from Britain I wouldn't give the time of day to). Maybe I misread you too - I took it that you thought my site looked thoroughly amateur and needed expert help, so I reacted in turn. So, sorry for that.As a matter of interest, my web-host is in Estonia, and I, and several friends, are very satisfied with the excellent and professional service. If I have a problem, I get quick and helpful answer from a real human, not some computer generated response. In my opinion, the service is too cheap, and I'd happily pay more for such good customer service.So, good luck with your career, and don't drop your prices too low - excellence always beats volume.I hope that we can get back to the sticky and fascinating subject of coding web-pages, which is why I joined this site only a couple of days ago.Have a nice one,Malcolm.

As a matter of interest, my web-host is in Estonia, and I, and several friends, are very satisfied with the excellent and professional service. If I have a problem, I get quick and helpful answer from a real human, not some computer generated response. In my opinion, the service is too cheap, and I'd happily pay more for such good customer service.
You're not talking about ICDSoft are you? I believe they have their data center in Estonia.. if so, I completely agree, low prices for excellent service that you would pay twice as much for from a company hosted here.

Hi Razvan,Let's settle down here. Yes, you did read me wrong my friend. I am a foreigner in a strange land myself - I'm a Brit in Finland, and 20 years ago that wasn't so easy either. I don't give a dingbat's kidney where people come from, I 'judge' everyone as I meet them (there's plenty of morons from Britain I wouldn't give the time of day to). Maybe I misread you too - I took it that you thought my site looked thoroughly amateur and needed expert help, so I reacted in turn. So, sorry for that.As a matter of interest, my web-host is in Estonia, and I, and several friends, are very satisfied with the excellent and professional service. If I have a problem, I get quick and helpful answer from a real human, not some computer generated response. In my opinion, the service is too cheap, and I'd happily pay more for such good customer service.So, good luck with your career, and don't drop your prices too low - excellence always beats volume.I hope that we can get back to the sticky and fascinating subject of coding web-pages, which is why I joined this site only a couple of days ago.Have a nice one,Malcolm.
Well, my apologies in that case. I did read you wrong ...This subject - "outsourcing" is a touchy one for me. IMO with outsourcing the country with the money gets to pick up the best brains from countries with less money. Of course, I am only speaking of the IT business, I am not suggesting that any kind of labor should be outsourced.
Maybe I misread you too - I took it that you thought my site looked thoroughly amateur and needed expert help, so I reacted in turn. So, sorry for that.
I do have experience with building several web sites myself and from that experience I can tell you that a web designer is an invaluable resource when coming to web design. I saw on the bottom of the page that you have some ads for sale: 20.62 Euros / month + VAT. When you have ads on a page that usually means that the page in question is commercial. In that case, hiring a web designer would give you a very good ROI on the long term. About the photo gallery ... it depends on what you need. If you only need to display your photos then the site is fine as it is. If you need more interactivity with your audience, lets say that you want people to add comments, you want people to be able to create their own categories of pictures and upload them, well in that case I recommend Vbulletin + Photopost. Vbulletin is one of the best forum software and Photopost integrates very well with VB. If you are not interested in building a community then you could only buy Photopost: (it works very well as a stand alone module)http://www.photopost.com/Regards,Razvan

You're not talking about ICDSoft are you? I believe they have their data center in Estonia.. if so, I completely agree, low prices for excellent service that you would pay twice as much for from a company hosted here.
Hi Justsomeguy,Nope, I'm talking about INT2000. They even have a bank account in Finland to make billing easier (no credit card necessary). I didn't choose them for cheapness, they were recommended to me by a friend.Have a nice one,Malcolm

Well, my apologies in that case. I did read you wrong ...This subject - "outsourcing" is a touchy one for me. IMO with outsourcing the country with the money gets to pick up the best brains from countries with less money. Of course, I am only speaking of the IT business, I am not suggesting that any kind of labor should be outsourced. I do have experience with building several web sites myself and from that experience I can tell you that a web designer is an invaluable resource when coming to web design. I saw on the bottom of the page that you have some ads for sale: 20.62 Euros / month + VAT. When you have ads on a page that usually means that the page in question is commercial. In that case, hiring a web designer would give you a very good ROI on the long term. About the photo gallery ... it depends on what you need. If you only need to display your photos then the site is fine as it is. If you need more interactivity with your audience, lets say that you want people to add comments, you want people to be able to create their own categories of pictures and upload them, well in that case I recommend Vbulletin + Photopost. Vbulletin is one of the best forum software and Photopost integrates very well with VB. If you are not interested in building a community then you could only buy Photopost: (it works very well as a stand alone module)http://www.photopost.com/Regards,Razvan
Hi Razvan,I did indeed have ideas of going a little bit commercial, hence the touting for advertising, but I think it just might spoil the hobby side of things, and I have already started removing the invitations. I already have a full-time job that I love (I teach English to adults) and just maybe it is best for me to keep work and play strictly separate.Thank you for the tips on forum and gallery software, which I'll have a bit of a think about. Forums need moderating, which is yet more work (our local sailing-club forum gets hijacked by a whole bunch of people who have nothing to do with boats), but it would be fun to develop a really good gallery.Oh well, back to work.Malcolm.

Archived