W3 Schools takes months to update its own statistics

mihai11

Hi, The web statistics at W3 Schools has become a valuable tool in find out information about the spread of Firefox. In fact, if you search in Google for the phrase “Firefox statistics” then the statistics from W3Schools are on the top position. The problem is that the people in charge of W3Schools have started since the beginning of this year to stop updating the statistics in a timely manner. In fact, as we speak, the statistics for the months of August and September are not displayed, and the current date is 8 October. I wonder why is this happening ? In the previous years the statistics were always displayed in a timely manner. I hope that W3 Schools didn't got the sickness of most big corporations: it seems that after reaching a certain threshold the big companies completely loose sight of the customer. I hope that W3 Schools will never get that disease. If nothing is done on this matter then I will write to Google to remove the statistics web page for W3 Schools from its search results. If people at W3Schools don't care about their own statistics being correctly displayed and in a timely manner then there is no reason that other people will put more value on that web page. I hope that this message is taken in positively manner. I recommend updating your statistics page at most after 24 hours after the end of a month. If you do care about your visitors wishes then this is what you should do.Regards,Razvan

If nothing is done on this matter then I will write to Google to remove the statistics web page for W3 Schools from its search results. If people at W3Schools don't care about their own statistics being correctly displayed and in a timely manner then there is no reason that other people will put more value on that web page.
What the ###### are you, the web police? Google doesn't care about your reasons, that page is on the top of the results because most people link to it. But you're more then welcome to start a campaign to get people to stop linking to that page, that will get it to drop in the results.
I hope that W3 Schools didn't got the sickness of most big corporations
How does a family of three people qualify as a big corporation? They are doing this for free in their spare time to help spread word about their own business and also make a little money from advertising to offset the costs of operating the site and bandwidth. Everything they do that you like, they do without asking you to pay them for it. You're not in a position to make demands that they do more for free.This is all besides the point that the stats on browser usage for w3schools in no way portray the spread of Firefox. The audience of w3schools.com is made up of web developers. Obviously a larger percentage of web developers are going to use browsers other then IE compared with the general population. All the stats on w3schools portray is a rough estimate of the spread of Firefox among web developers. The reason why people like to link to those stats are because the numbers for Firefox are unusually high for this demographic so it makes Firefox look good.If you want statistics that update every day which sample from a much more broad audience then the w3schools statistics, then look here:http://www.thecounter.com/stats/But don't make demands on people running a website for free. If you want, send them an email and offer to analyze their server logs every month to calculate the numbers yourself.

But don't make demands on people running a website for free. If you want, send them an email and offer to analyze their server logs every month to calculate the numbers yourself.
I can make ANY demands I want and they can listed if they want to. How is that ?I don't need you to agree with me or explain to me anything. Unless you work for W3Schools, I don't care if you get upset about what I write, if you get happy or if you get into any other mood. In fact, I don't care if you exist at all. I hope that we are clear on this one so that you will spare me from reading emotionally-filled messages in the future.Now, about the "Google police": it is my right to complain. If I will find the right arguments for Google, then they might listen to me. What is the problem with that ? Perhaps I should ask for your permission before doing that ?I advise you to review your attitude. Perhaps some people are intimidated by your outbursts, but I am certainly not that kind. If I think that I am right to say something, then I will say it, regardless of how many people will get upset in the process.Regards,Razvan

Wow talk about anti-free speech! We recognize that you have the right to make a complaint, but I believe that you should recognize our right to respond. This is, after all, a forum, a place for open discussion, not one-way rants. If you "don't care if [justsomeguys] exist at all", then - why post here? In this forum, we care about what each and every one of us has to say, and take into account all opinions presented. We do believe that we do have the right to say something, as you write:

If I think that I am right to say something, then I will say it, regardless of how many people will get upset in the process.
So, even if you are upset by his post, that shouldn't prevent him from posting, he doesn't need to "spare [you] from reading emotionally-filled messages" (even though I don't see the emotion in his post), just as you don't seem to spare us.Please, at these forums we aim for an inclusive and friendly environment, and your post is an insult to the values held by the members. So, I too "advise you to review your attitude".

Wow talk about anti-free speech! We recognize that you have the right to make a complaint, but I believe that you should recognize our right to respond. This is, after all, a forum, a place for open discussion, not one-way rants. If you "don't care if [justsomeguys] exist at all", then - why post here? In this forum, we care about what each and every one of us has to say, and take into account all opinions presented. We do believe that we do have the right to say something, as you write:So, even if you are upset by his post, that shouldn't prevent him from posting, he doesn't need to "spare [you] from reading emotionally-filled messages" (even though I don't see the emotion in his post), just as you don't seem to spare us.Please, at these forums we aim for an inclusive and friendly environment, and your post is an insult to the values held by the members. So, I too "advise you to review your attitude".
You are trying to twist my logic. I can easily prove you wrong, but in certain circumstances it is not a good move to do that.My points about this issue is clear, so it is best to move on.I only made my account here to post this complaint, but ... let's see. Maybe this forum can be useful in other ways.Regards,Razvan

...If nothing is done on this matter then I will write to Google to remove the statistics web page for W3 Schools from its search results. If people at W3Schools don't care about their own statistics being correctly displayed and in a timely manner then there is no reason that other people will put more value on that web page...
As a final technical note, search engines will only remove sites that directly violate their terms of service or if requested by the site owner. Sites are not removed solely based on the lack of updated information (i.e. web statistics). If, in this case, the statistics are found to be out of date then sites and users will realize this after some time and the ranking of the page will suffer accordingly - thats how the whole search engine model works.

Archived