deprecated elements

sugan

hii often see some tags are marked as deprecated after some version of HTML. My doubt isi) If we use them in our pages what would happen? will they work or not?ii) And are these deprecated elements are parsed by the latest browsers?iii) And if some portion need the exact need of that deprecated tags what should i do?iv) is there any other equivalent tags for those deprecated elements?Regards,Sugan

i) If we use them in our pages what would happen? will they work or not?ii) And are these deprecated elements are parsed by the latest browsers?
Depends on which DTD (document type definition) you give your page. If you set it as XHTML 1.1, then old tags such as <font> etc. won't render, but if it is set for transitional then they still will. Only a while in the future (e.g. ten years?) will browsers stop supporting the old document types in their rendering engines.
iii) And if some portion need the exact need of that deprecated tags what should i do?
This should never be so, there should always be a CSS/JavaScript method of doing it.
iv) is there any other equivalent tags for those deprecated elements?
Maybe, or they may have been replaced by CSS, or have a JavaScript solution.

Archived