I will try this again

crowheart

My main page has thumbnails that are linked to pictures that are created on their own html page and in their own folder. In others words thumbnail 1 links up to html1. What happened was that google indexed those picture pages(html1). Not what I wanted. I have used the meta-tags to stop the indexing of those pages and it has worked. I only want my main folder indexed (index.html). I didn't want these pictures viewed independently like that. Is it reasonable to only index your main page? All of my pages our linked up to one another, so I figured I would only need to have my main page indexed by the search engines. Does that make sense? Since I have added the meta tags to the picture pages they are not indexed now, which is what I wanted. On my main page I used <meta name="robots" content="noarchive, nofollow" /> The logic being I did not want my page archived and followed , but I want it indexed. The other pages on my site I have them taged as noindex . Is this a reasonable strategy? I am quite new at this. Any help would be appreciated. Peace...

As far as I know, putting the meta element affects how search engines deal with the document containing it and the links from that document.If you want a greather degree of control, create a file called robots.txt and place it at your document root (i.e. the folder which is considered "the base" of all documents on the server).In that file, use something like

User-agent: *Disallow: /path/to/the/images/folderDisallow: /additional/disallows/as/needed

replacing the paths of course, and as the second path says, add additional disallows as needed.

Archived