My website is rejecting HTML?

lesos

Hi, I was required to make a website to house my portfolio for my art class. I have a little experience with webdesign, so I was looking forward to making/running my own website. However the site I regestered with Godaddy isn't functioning properly. I tried uploading a index page with code I typed up in TextEdit (I'm on a mac) but it wouldn't display properly, instead of showing what I want it just shows my code. Then I tried uploading a page with the sample code from this website, figuring I did something wrong. But that shows up too! :) I called godaddy but they were no help. :) I was hoping someone here might be able to help me indentify my problem?!My website is:http://www.les-os.com/and an example of the problem I'm refering to can be seen here:http://www.les-os.com/test.html

What did godaddy say to you? Try going into your web file manager, and adding code to your index page, delete any code that's on there and paste the below again and save. Reload your page a couple times and check if anything has changed.

<html><body><p>testtestesttest</p><p>TEST!</p></body></html>

You're not saving the files correctly. The source code for this file:http://www.les-os.com/test.htmllooks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head>  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">  <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">  <title></title>  <meta name="Generator" content="Cocoa HTML Writer">  <meta name="CocoaVersion" content="824.41">  <style type="text/css">	p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New}	p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Courier New; min-height: 11.0px}  </style></head><body><p class="p1"><html></p><p class="p1"><body></p><p class="p2"><br></p><p class="p1"><p></p><p class="p1"><span class="Apple-converted-space">  </span>testtestesttest</p><p class="p1"></p></p><p class="p2"><br></p><p class="p1"><p>TEST!</p></p><p class="p2"><br></p><p class="p1"></body></p><p class="p1"></html></p><p class="p2"><br></p></body></html>

That is an HTML page with code to display other HTML code.

Actually, your page works just fine. Here is what is in your code:

<html><head><meta name=Title content="<html>"><meta name=Keywords content=""><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=macintosh"><meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel=File-List href="index_files/filelist.xml"><title><html></title><style><!-- /* Font Definitions */@font-face	{font-family:"Times New Roman";	panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3;} /* Style Definitions */p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal	{margin:0in;	margin-bottom:.0001pt;	font-size:12.0pt;	font-family:"Times New Roman";}table.MsoNormalTable	{font-size:10.0pt;	font-family:"Times New Roman";}@page Section1	{size:8.5in 11.0in;	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}div.Section1	{page:Section1;}--></style></head><body bgcolor=white lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'><div class=Section1><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'><html></p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'><body></p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'> </p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'><p>testtestesttest</p></p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'> </p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'><p>TEST!</p></p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'> </p><p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:19.0pt;text-autospace:none'></body></p><p class=MsoNormal></html></p></div></body></html>

Since you already know HTML, I can assume you see what happened. I don't know how it happened, but it happened.

Since you already know HTML, I can assume you see what happened. I don't know how it happened, but it happened.
Yeah, I realize there is a lot of extra junk sneaking into my page. I just can't seem to figure out how it's getting in there, since I'm using the simplest proccess that I know of. I read through the godaddy guide to setting up a page, and I've done everything they said I should be doing, I tried using cuteFTP and their uploader and I've had the same results. So I figured that the problem was with where I was writing the code, and I tried doing it in Word. And I got the same result. I'm stumped.

Whatever program you are using to create your files is converting your HTML code into text. It sounds like you are using a program that writes web pages for you (like Word), where you don't write any code at all, you just put colors and write text like you want the page to look. So, when you paste code into an environment like that, it is going to convert the code into HTML entities so that the HTML code shows up on the page. That's not what you want to happen, you just want a text file with HTML code in it. It looks like once you used Cocoa to create it, and then Word. You should just be using a regular text editor, not a WYSIWYG web page builder. Start a text editor, paste this code into it:

<html><body><p>  testtestesttest</p><p>TEST!</p></body></html>

Save that, and upload it. If you view it online and view the source code of the page, you should see exactly that. If you see something like what we pasted here, then the program you're using is still trying to save your HTML code as text.

Whatever program you are using to create your files is converting your HTML code into text. It sounds like you are using a program that writes web pages for you (like Word), where you don't write any code at all, you just put colors and write text like you want the page to look. So, when you paste code into an environment like that, it is going to convert the code into HTML entities so that the HTML code shows up on the page. That's not what you want to happen, you just want a text file with HTML code in it. It looks like once you used Cocoa to create it, and then Word. You should just be using a regular text editor, not a WYSIWYG web page builder. Start a text editor, paste this code into it:
<html><body><p>  testtestesttest</p><p>TEST!</p></body></html>

Save that, and upload it. If you view it online and view the source code of the page, you should see exactly that. If you see something like what we pasted here, then the program you're using is still trying to save your HTML code as text.

Thank you baby jesus that finally put me on the right path to figuring out what was wrong. I played with the settings on textedit and now it works!Thanks everyone for your time & advice! :)

The customer service guy said that he doesn't know and can't help me because he isn't able to be there with me and see how I'm uploading the pages.
What a worthless customer service guy... Maybe you should try checking if the file extension of the file you uploaded is .html or.htm. if it isn't, then fix it.