Update post icon after posting?

Reg Edit

Would it be an idea (or is it possible already) to have a way for the original poster to change the "post icon" after posting an issue? And have certain icons that indicate the issue status? For instance, a post that has 7 replies and was last viewed 2 days ago is increasingly likely to be assumed to be an ended conversation, whereas the original poster might still be waiting for the right reply. In that scenario, being able to set a "help still needed!" icon would be useful. And at other times, a "thanks, all resolved now!" icon would also be useful in communicating status. (Or if not the post icon, something else as a status indicator that shows in the list of topics in a forum.)

A topic starter can already change the icon of the topic, but yeah, there are no status icons or messages.I don't think they are a good idea anyway. Many people won't use them, unless they have (i.e. unless the forum forces them) to.

[...] A topic starter can already change the icon of the topic [...]
Ah, that's handy, must have a look to find out how to do that... ah yes!
[...] Many people won't use them, unless they have (i.e. unless the forum forces them) to.
But that wouldn't be a problem, would it? In other words, this could bring a benefit in some cases, without losing anything?

But that wouldn't be a problem, would it? In other words, this could bring a benefit in some cases, without losing anything?
Maybe. But it's not a feature built into IPB, and this could be a problem either way. Invisionzone probably don't allow installation of modules, and even if it did, you know how often the admins visit theese forums.

Maybe. But it's not a feature built into IPB, and this could be a problem either way. Invisionzone probably don't allow installation of modules, and even if it did, you know how often the admins visit theese forums.
Well, there's is a feature of sorts:icon14.gifYou can mark your topics/posts like that, with a question mark, exclamation mark, and various emoticons. The question then is if we can add new icons to the current list...Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing such an option. Adding regular emoticons and bbcodes on the other hand is something we can do. I guess I can have a dig through the admin panel to see, but even if we can add more icons of the sort, there's no real way of enforcing that people use it.

Well, there's is a feature of sorts:icon14.gifYou can mark your topics/posts like that, with a question mark, exclamation mark, and various emoticons. [...]
I can only seem to set an icon a post, not for the thread. When I started this thread, I set the Post Icon to icon14.gif but setting different icons on replies doesn't seem to affect the icon shown against the thread in the topic list. Or is there another setting I haven't found?
The question then is if we can add new icons to the current list...Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing such an option. Adding regular emoticons and bbcodes on the other hand is something we can do. I guess I can have a dig through the admin panel to see [...]
Thanks.
[...] if we can add more icons of the sort, there's no real way of enforcing that people use it.
Does anyone see this as a problem? My view is that it would add something when people choose to use it, and not lose anything if they don't. (Much the same as any forum feature, such as code blocks, url formatting...)

I can only seem to set an icon a post, not for the thread. When I started this thread, I set the Post Icon to but setting different icons on replies doesn't seem to affect the icon shown against the thread in the topic list. Or is there another setting I haven't found?
The forum system itself won't change the topic icon (after all, it can't "read" the posts to figure out whether the problem is resolved), but if you do a full edit of the topic then you can change the icon.

I can only seem to set an icon a post, not for the thread. When I started this thread, I set the Post Icon to icon14.gif but setting different icons on replies doesn't seem to affect the icon shown against the thread in the topic list. Or is there another setting I haven't found?Thanks. Does anyone see this as a problem? My view is that it would add something when people choose to use it, and not lose anything if they don't. (Much the same as any forum feature, such as code blocks, url formatting...)
No, different icons on replies won't help. I guess you've seen the question mark icon here:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=46Note next to your thread. If you edit your initial threadstarting post in full edit view, you can change the icon. The thing is, most people like to use the fast reply or fast edit when they post. It's all about speed and functionality in this day and age. :) Most people don't feel they need the full reply wiew. Most emoticons you can memorize, and most BBcode tags as well. Adding an icon isn't such a big deal.Again, there's no way of reinforcing that people use the icons.

For me personally, things like emoticons and icons just get in the way, I don't even look at them.
Of course what would really help would be to be able to change the optional Topic Description when posting a reply to an existing thread.Topic Descriptions appear in the topic list beneath Topic Titles, and would potentially be even better than an icon for the OP to draw attention to the status of the thread. And again: whenever not used, no problem, but when used, helpful to someone.Can that be configured?

I agree with Reg Edit and I think it would be better in my opinion, to allow the user to change his/her thread title to say something like "Solved" or something along the lines.I know they do this in a another Forum for this site I go to and they try to reinforce it, but is optional but is useful to the community.

Archived