how do I do this

shulin

Hi:I want to partition my webpage into two (2) vertical frames "Menu" and "Detailed Information".Items are listed in the Menu frame and when an item is clicked its detail information is displayed in the "Detailed Information" frame.All the examples I found so far require me to create a few seperate HTML files, one for each frame at least. Is it possible to do this with only ONE single HTML file?An example is show below (PC is selected for display:MENU | Detailed Information------------------------------------------------PC | Name:PCNIC | Brand:HPOS | Model: xxxxx---------------------------------------------------User can then click NIC to display another set of information. Scroll bar is enabled.Is it possible to do this with only ONE HTML file?Thanks.shu-lin

It is if you use some Javascript to show and hide the different parts, or replace the content of a div or something with whatever they clicked on. It wouldn't use frames though, it might look like frames but it wouldn't use the <frameset> and <frame> tags.

It is if you use some Javascript to show and hide the different parts, or replace the content of a div or something with whatever they clicked on. It wouldn't use frames though, it might look like frames but it wouldn't use the <frameset> and <frame> tags.
Do you have have sample code that I reference?Thanks

Like this?http://annex.trap17.com/scripts/targetframe/This page uses "cutenews". Google it up. Requires php on the server to work.
Hi:many thanks.I looked at the source code for the webpage, still don't quite understand how images are swapped.For example, <li> <a href="?do=archives" title="">picture 1</a> </li>above line creates a hyperlink labeled as "picture 1". When the link is clicked, what happens?I am new to HTML . Sorry to bother you so muchshu-lin

There is some php scripting doing the work in the backend. Those are the Query strings used to determine the page that is linked to and displayed.The part after the '?' is what chooses the particular page (or image in this case) to display.The php is written to display an image based on the value passed to it in this query string, so the user gets to decide which image is displayed. Nice thing about it is there is only a single page on that Demo site. All it does is change the 'contents' based on the clicked link's query string.When you 'view source' you only see the front-end html.Google cutenews and download their package to see what I mean. Cutenews is good for those just learning stuff and if you don't have a Database on your account. It used 'flat files' for the storage of the page contents.

Archived