Drowning, not waving.

Justin

I'm a part time photographer looking to build my business up again after a move to Ireland.Having been messed about by a couple of website designers (one wanted to charge me a days work for downsizing 40 images, I went home and did it within 30 mins in Photoshop) I've decided to give it a go myself now that we have broadband at last.I have a domain name and server space all booked and ready to go, but what I don't have is a site. I built one in MS Publisher and asked an 'expert' to help upload it. Easy he said, and then messed it up completely, but still took the money. A friend has kindly offered advice and put me in touch with this site but time is at a premium and I haven't the patience to build a site from scratch using HTML only. So I seek advice. If publisher is hopeless (as I am told) which programme is best suited to a newbie like me? How do I go about up-loading it and linking it to my URL? The website I have in mind is a simple one that can be downloaded quickly and will operate smoothly. Many of my potential customers may still be on dial up (yes I know this is the 21st century but rural Ireland has been very poorly served, it is a national scandal) so how do I minimise the content yet retain the impact of photographs? I would also like to think of the site as being dynamic, ie, constantly updated and changed to reflect events and services offered which is another reason why I don't really want to go for the 'one off' designer sites.I appreciate the answers to these questions may already be floating around on this site but which answers are relevent and serve me best?All help very much appreciated.Justin.

For your needs I would suggest getting a Content Management System, and with a dynamic nature in mind I would suggest WordPress or Joomla! (both free). Simply upload it to your site and fill out the information, and you will be ready to go. There are various themes for the system, some of which are customized for low bandwidth consumption.If you want to create the site for yourself and are looking for a program to do so, a good (but expensive) IDE is DreamWeaver.

Many thanks for the links. I've explored them both but have been unable to load either on to my server yet. Might have to perservere with Wordpress as Joomla was very scant on installation guides. Managed to download the Filezilla FTP only too be told that it doesn't work with the http protocol! Can anyone suggest anything that does?Justin.

Uh... hang on a tick... are you sure your host doesn't support FTP? Have a poke around in its control panel, there should be some info about your FTP details. Plug those into FileZilla and try uploading again. The actual CMSs are very easy to install (type here, click here), just unzip them into your public_html folder in your hosting account and go to your address.

Uh... hang on a tick... are you sure your host doesn't support FTP? Have a poke around in its control panel, there should be some info about your FTP details. Plug those into FileZilla and try uploading again. The actual CMSs are very easy to install (type here, click here), just unzip them into your public_html folder in your hosting account and go to your address.
I poked around and yes indeed there was an FTP support section. Should have looked before shooting my mouth off!I'll have another crack at loading a CMS, but in the meantime I have played with trying to get a page to appear as my home page using the index.html file name, but with no joy. I have also been toying with Frontpage and feel that I could achieve something there if only I could get it to load and attached to my domain name. All that I get appears at www.justinseye.comYour input and help is appreciated.Justin.

Thanks for that, gave it a go with very little joy.Just how difficult is it to get a site up and running? Putting something simple together in Frontpage is not a problem, but transferring it to the server and getting it to work is causing much heartache. I'm missing a trick somewhereI'll go away and start again.Justin.

• 4 weeks later...
When you upload your website to your server, you must replicate the folder structures in which the website was held on your computer. You cannot just upload everything and hope that it will all work out. Maybe this will help you.
Just a word of thanks to those that helped me here. Needed a bit of a morale boost as much as anything. Have got a site up and running (www.Justinseye.com) using an HTML editor called 'Site Studio' which comes with the hosting service. Very basic and restrictive but it has worked so far except for establishing links between generic pages. I can only get one sub page to link up to the Galleries page although I should be able to have as many as I wish. Have asked the support desk but no reply so far.Justin.

Try transfering your domain to www.bluehost.com. They have a free website builder feature added on. Try working with one of those. It's very easy to use. Oh and when I said it was free, I have no idea, I code my website. Though on the topic of this, I found I had to scrounge around a bit to get my website files uploaded for some time. How do you upload images? (Off topic I know) Theres a image manager but that's no help whatsoever. And when I upload an image in File Manager, I go to the URL it should be saved as, and theres nothing there...

Try transfering your domain to www.bluehost.com. They have a free website builder feature added on.
Don't use site builders! Well, I suppose they can be useful for quickly getting a site off the ground, but in the long run they become very restrictive, adn also your site gets to be very generic.
I can only get one sub page to link up to the Galleries page although I should be able to have as many as I wish
Well, you can just create new pages, and then link to them using standard anchor <a> tags. You can place them in a line
<a href="subpage_1.html">Subpage 1</a> <a href="subpage_2.html">Subpage 2</a> <a href="subpage_3.html">Subpage 3</a>

How do you upload images? (Off topic I know) Theres a image manager but that's no help whatsoever. And when I upload an image in File Manager, I go to the URL it should be saved as, and theres nothing there...
Well... what file manager are you using? You should be able to upload images in the same way as HTML and other files.