phpMyAdmin

kurt.santo

Just had a read through documentation to install phpMyAdmin. Could you just clarify two things before I install?I have to unzip all files into the "htdocs" folder on my local machine and create in there a "config.inc.php" file. It gives the following example for a basic file:

<?php$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'ba17c1ec07d65003';  // use here a value of your choice$i=0;$i++;$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'cookie';?>

What means "blowfish_secret"? Also, as phpMyAdmin is browser-based how do I make sure it is safe to use? I found the documentation a bit difficult for beginners. Is there another documention/information site? How would I get the quickest started to play around?Kurt

Blowfish is an encryption method, the secret is a value that it uses to encrypt/decrypt stuff. If someone got your secret value they would bel able to decrypt whatever is encrypted. If you make sure that people either can't access phpMyAdmin or have to login when they do it's secure. If it's running on your local computer it's secure unless your internet connection is leaving port 80 open. If you want to scan your connection you can go to grc.com and run a Shields Up test to check port 80.

Blowfish is an encryption method, the secret is a value that it uses to encrypt/decrypt stuff. If someone got your secret value they would bel able to decrypt whatever is encrypted. If you make sure that people either can't access phpMyAdmin or have to login when they do it's secure. If it's running on your local computer it's secure unless your internet connection is leaving port 80 open. If you want to scan your connection you can go to grc.com and run a Shields Up test to check port 80.
Thank you. I will scan my connection... Do you know about an idiot guide in how to install phpMyAdmin? Find it quite hard to understand...Kurt

it's secure unless your internet connection is leaving port 80 open
Isn't port 80 used by the HTTP protocol?

Right. Unless you make your living as a network administrator, if you have port 80 open to your home machine you're just asking for problems.
I run the test and it came up with "!80 HTTP Stealth There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address! ". So, that is good news then...Will try the phpMyAdmin site again...Kurt

Simplest method to get phpMyAdmin running is to install an XAMPP or WAMP one-click installer package. Apache, Mysql, php, phpMyAdmin, perl, and a bunch of stuff... all in one package.In case you are having any difficulties...

Simplest method to get phpMyAdmin running is to install an XAMPP or WAMP one-click installer package. Apache, Mysql, php, phpMyAdmin, perl, and a bunch of stuff... all in one package.In case you are having any difficulties...
Actually, I think you said before... I tried it the hard way, but found the mysql command line client daunting (rest seems fine). Is there a way to see a demo in how the interface of XAMPP or WAMP look like (I am especially interested in how you would interact with databases)? I just want to make sure that is really the way forward for me before uninstalling everything and installing the package solution...Kurt

WAMP = Windows Apache MySQL PHP (XAMPP = eXtended Apache MySQL PHP Perl) - these packages usually come with phpMyAdmin but they will configure it all for you.

WAMP = Windows Apache MySQL PHP (XAMPP = eXtended Apache MySQL PHP Perl) - these packages usually come with phpMyAdmin but they will configure it all for you.
Is there an online demo available? Am after a user-friendly interface (with some little fairies who do all the work for me;-))...Kurt

I am not aware of any on-line demo for the Xampp or Wamp since it is essentially for developing Localhost versions of everything.It really is not designed to be installed, for instance, on a Hosting account at a Hosting Server since php, mysql, etc is already available there (usually). It is also not suggested as a "Hosting Package' on the Web because of Security issues. They can be 'patched', but as justsomeguy says, you would need to be trained as a Server Admin to get it as secure as you would need it to be in order to go live on the web.Short version, it takes all the effort out of installing all the packages you need for a Local version of your Web Host, at no cost, with a single click.

I am not aware of any on-line demo for the Xampp or Wamp since it is essentially for developing Localhost versions of everything.It really is not designed to be installed, for instance, on a Hosting account at a Hosting Server since php, mysql, etc is already available there (usually). It is also not suggested as a "Hosting Package' on the Web because of Security issues. They can be 'patched', but as justsomeguy says, you would need to be trained as a Server Admin to get it as secure as you would need it to be in order to go live on the web.Short version, it takes all the effort out of installing all the packages you need for a Local version of your Web Host, at no cost, with a single click.
But then it might not make sense in my case. I already installed it all separately and it is working fine. I am just after a way to make the database interaction easier...As alternative, do you know a way how to update a MySQL table with the contents of a text file (or other file)? Either to overwrite what has been in table or to add to existing records? Kurt

Archived