Tutorial Problem

db00707

please post all relavent code. We'll need to see what is going on.
There's not much code at all.... it uses vb and one file... say default.aspxdefault.aspx.vb:-sub Page_Loadif Not Page.IsPostBack then dim mycdcatalog=New DataSet mycdcatalog.ReadXml(MapPath("cdcatalog.xml"))end ifend subdefault.aspx:-<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %><html><body><form runat="server"><asp:Repeater id="cdcatalog" runat="server"><HeaderTemplate><table border="1" width="100%"><tr><th>Title</th><th>Artist</th><th>Country</th><th>Company</th><th>Price</th><th>Year</th></tr></HeaderTemplate><ItemTemplate><tr><td><%#Container.DataItem("title")%></td><td><%#Container.DataItem("artist")%></td><td><%#Container.DataItem("country")%></td><td><%#Container.DataItem("company")%></td><td><%#Container.DataItem("price")%></td><td><%#Container.DataItem("year")%></td></tr></ItemTemplate><FooterTemplate></table></FooterTemplate></asp:Repeater></form></body></html>the xml file:-<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><catalog><cd><title>Empire Burlesque</title><artist>Bob Dylan</artist><country>USA</country><company>Columbia</company><price>10.90</price><year>1985</year></cd><cd><title>Hide your heart</title><artist>Bonnie Tyler</artist><country>UK</country><company>CBS Records</company><price>9.90</price><year>1988</year></cd><cd><title>Greatest Hits</title><artist>Dolly Parton</artist><country>USA</country><company>RCA</company><price>9.90</price><year>1982</year></cd><cd><title>Still got the blues</title><artist>Gary Moore</artist><country>UK</country><company>Virgin records</company><price>10.20</price><year>1990</year></cd><cd><title>Eros</title><artist>Eros Ramazzotti</artist><country>EU</country><company>BMG</company><price>9.90</price><year>1997</year></cd></catalog>That's it.Thanks.

you left out the databinding. change your vb to look like this

sub Page_Loadif Not Page.IsPostBack thendim mycdcatalog=New DataSetmycdcatalog.ReadXml(MapPath("cdcatalog.xml"))cdcatalog.DataSource = mycdcatalogcdcatalog.DataBind()end ifend sub

you left out the databinding. change your vb to look like this
sub Page_Loadif Not Page.IsPostBack thendim mycdcatalog=New DataSetmycdcatalog.ReadXml(MapPath("cdcatalog.xml"))cdcatalog.DataSource = mycdcatalogcdcatalog.DataBind()end ifend sub

Hi,I have tried that but I still get a blank Internet Explorer.Could there be anything wrong with this line: mycdcatalog.ReadXml(MapPath("cdcatalog.xml")) ?Thanks

Hi,I'm having a problem with this:http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/aspnet_repeater.aspI'm using ASP.Net 2.0.I have the xml file but when it runs I just see a blank page.There are no errors generated.Any ideas why it might not be working?Thanks.
The tutorial example uses .NET 1.x syntax. Since you're using .NET 2.0, your Page_Load is not recognized as a page load event handler with that declaration, so your code never executes. You need to use:
Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Thanks for that.I'd just cut & paste the code, and ignored the event handler.... completely missed that. I wasn't aware it was asp.net 1.0... another gotcha.... especially as I've only used asp.net from v2.0 !Thanks again... much appreciated.

Archived