Search Engine Ideas

SpOrTsDuDe.Reese

Hello I am currently in the work of a Search Engine Website. Much like Ask.com, WebCrawler.com, and Google.com. For now I need a name to start out building. I will take any suggestions whatsoever. Anyway getting back to the topic. I am thinking of making this website along what Google and Ask have done. For now I will need a logo and a name for my website. Anyone who can give me a web domain name that I like, along with a logo to suit it, will get payed for doing so. I can pay by Credit Card or PayPal. I will check the logo out before it is bought however. If you are afraid I will take the idea, you can copyright it, or you can just merely put the image file in a closed directory on your filemanager (so noone can access it), disable right clicks in the browser, and then show me the picture. If it is in my taste you will name a price I deem resonable and payment will be transfered.For the search engine, will I need PHP to display MYSQL's database results? This project, which will be started in January 1, 2008, Also does anyone know how to create algorithms in my search? Any help is appreciated :)

For the search engine, will I need PHP to display MYSQL's database results?
You will need some server-side language to display the results from some database. It doesn't necessarily need to be PHP and MySQL.
Also does anyone know how to create algorithms in my search?
Is that like a footnote? P.S., does anyone know how to actually do this? That's something you'll need to think about for yourself, the algorithms make up the entire search engine. You'll need to think about how you want to index pages, how you want to store everything, how you find new content, how to build your indexes so that the search is as quick as possible, etc. A good place to start might be a search for search engine theory.

Ok because I have been Googling questions about algorithms. Lately in my research on building a search engine website, I have found that on Ask.com and Google, they have algorithms incorporated in their website. Im wondering if there is any sort of software that you put the algo on. Thats good about not needing PHP needed. However what does Google and Ask use? Do you know? I was thinking about getting to learn JSP, or ASP. But I have no idea how to get ASP working. From previous post on different forums, I have been told that it has something to do with a CD or something? Well anyway, out of JSP and ASP, which server-side scripting choice would you choose?

Originally Google was using C and C++, but today the "official" languages are C++, Python, and Java for various projects. I believe that Python powers most of the web applications on google.com, while I would imagine that C++ is being used for the search engine. There is a research paper online that was written by the founders of Google when they were students at Stanford:http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

Ok because I have been Googling questions about algorithms. Lately in my research on building a search engine website, I have found that on Ask.com and Google, they have algorithms incorporated in their website. Im wondering if there is any sort of software that you put the algo on.
I don't think you're understanding. The algorithms *are* the software. When you write a program (a piece of software), all it is is a series of algorithms to handle various tasks (whatever the purpose of the software is). The algorithms are the things that a programmer designs and implements. I'm not sure how to explain this any better, so here are a few definitions of "algorithm" from online:
A computer program (or set of programs) that is designed to systematically solve a certain kind of problem.
A set of well-defined rules or procedures for solving a problem in a finite number of steps.
A step-by-step problem-solving procedure, especially an established, recursive computational procedure for solving a problem in a finite number of steps.
An organized procedure for performing a given type of calculation or solving a given type of problem. An example is long division.
An algorithm is a step-by-step procedure for carrying out a mathematical computation or a transformation of data, usually used in reference to work performed by a computer.
You don't put algorithms into a program to execute them, the algorithms and the program are the same thing. As far as server-side languages go, it's not a good idea at this point to learn ASP classic. If you want to learn ASP, learn ASP.NET. I don't have any experience using JSP and I haven't done any research with respect to its performance so I can't give a recommendation on JSP. I typically just stick with PHP unless the client requires something else.

Originally Google was using C and C++, but today the "official" languages are C++, Python, and Java for various projects. I believe that Python powers most of the web applications on google.com, while I would imagine that C++ is being used for the search engine.
What classes could I take to have sufficient knowledge of C++. Also is there a link to download Python so I can begin studying it and learning it?

Archived