Programming Languages for the Web

Nim199

Hi, I have recently been looking for a language which I can use 'Off, and On' the internet. Can anyone suggest anything other than JAVA, PASCAL?Thanks

Wow, news to me!I have XAMMP, but how can I use PHP offline?

Hi, I have recently been looking for a language which I can use 'Off, and On' the internet. Can anyone suggest anything other than JAVA, PASCAL?Thanks
It depends on your webserver and development environment, but one obvious answer would be the .NET languages, notably C# and of course the one already in your own list of languages, VB.NET.

Again, news!How can I develop VB.NET into my websites.Many Thanks for your rapid responces! - Fermat

I don't understand how to intergrate VB.NET in to ASP?Note: I am running XP, I have XAMMP, MYSql and a VB.NET editor.

I don't understand how to intergrate VB.NET in to ASP?Note: I am running XP, I have XAMMP, MYSql and a VB.NET editor.
You can only use IIS to run ASP.NET. And you just embed the VB.NET code into the ".aspx" file as demonstrated in the tutorials on W3Schools.XAMPP uses Apache though, so you're out of luck. If you want to run ASP.NET on Apache, you'll need some "third party ASP implementation" like MONO for example, but they are never as comlete or as flexible as the real deal (though it'll be probably be close enough for most cases).

Arrrrr! Asp cannot run on Windows XP Home Edition.Note: I run Windows Home EditionQuestion: Could I run it on 'Open Suse'? (linux)

New found itelligence!!!If I can create a windows 2003 server as a virtual machine in 'VMWare' then I might be able to run ASP.Please say if you do not think this will work, as I do not want to waste time in the server up.Any more info on PHP would be great.

New found itelligence!!!If I can create a windows 2003 server as a virtual machine in 'VMWare' then I might be able to run ASP.Please say if you do not think this will work, as I o not want possibly to invest in software I do not need. So far, everything I use is FREE!
I haven't been successful in launching any virtual Windows 2003 Server image... I have been able to install it on a virtual machine from an original Windows 2003 Server CD though. If you can find such CD, you can download Microsoft Virtual PC, and install Windows 2003 on it. For images, as well as other VM software, I can't say anything.And no, you can't run ASP.NET on Linux. Not without such sort of third party implementation anyway.

Ok, No Linux....My dad has a copy of Windows 2003 server on disc, and I have VMWare to run Suse. I have checked, and 2003 will run on VMWare as a virtual machine.

Ok, No Linux....My dad has a copy of Windows 2003 server on disc, and I have VMWare to run Suse. I have checked, and 2003 will run on VMWare as a virtual machine.
Windows Server 2003 on a VM will be fine for an IIS webserver. We do that all the time under Virtual PC 2007 (which I gather is also now a free download from MS, so you may wish to consider that instead of VMWare).You mentioned you have a "VB.NET editor" so I presume you don't have Visual Studio? You may be interested in the free ASP.NET downloads here including Visual Web Developer.

Wow, news to me!I have XAMMP, but how can I use PHP offline?
You can run the PHP interpreter (php.exe in Windows) and give it a script to run. PHP on a command line has most of the same things available to it, minus any web server-related things like $_SERVER or $_SESSION. It also has some additional things for the command line, like arrays that hold the command-line arguments that were sent to the script. Check this page for a description:http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.phpIf you want to develop desktop applications, you can also use PHP-GTK for the user interface.http://gtk.php.net/

I haven't been successful in launching any virtual Windows 2003 Server image... I have been able to install it on a virtual machine from an original Windows 2003 Server CD though. If you can find such CD, you can download Microsoft Virtual PC, and install Windows 2003 on it. For images, as well as other VM software, I can't say anything.And no, you can't run ASP.NET on Linux. Not without such sort of third party implementation anyway.
Firstly, ASP is not ASP.Net. They are very different. And yes you can run ASP.Net and .Net WinForms on Linux. Check out http://mono-project.com/Main_Page.Net is the best I've seen for creating both Web and Desktop applications.Mono.Net supports 100% of 1.1 and almost all of 2.0 except WebParts

Sorry, but maybe I am missing something:

• Windows 2003 Server comes with its own virtual server, but you could use VMWare if you like
  • Essentially, you can run any server side scripting language as an "offline" application - just do not make the web server accessible to the world.
  • having said that ^ you could use ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, etc. for your application just as you could use any database engine (mysql, ms sql, oracle, derby, ms access)

I've built a few applications for people in ColdFusion that run on their local machine or via the network that are web based but simply not "public" - call it an intranet on steroids, whatever. Its like having your software "installed".For instance, if you need an email program (i.e. Tunderbird or Outlook Express) you can use "software" but I could easily develop a ColdFusion application that would be "installed" on your machine and you could do all that in your web browser.Granted, with traditional mail clients you just need to install that where what I describe would require installing the scripting engine and the database.Depending on your application requirements you could simply use a web based programming language as I've described.(just a thought)

Unfortunatly, I need an IP address to use PHP & MYSql.

You mentioned you have a "VB.NET editor" so I presume you don't have Visual Studio? You may be interested in the free ASP.NET downloads here including Visual Web Developer.
Yes, I am with Visual Studio, 2005 Express.

You can make offline desktop applications with PHP just fine. The computer running the program still needs PHP installed (like the .NET framework), but the PHP-GTK project is aimed at producing PHP desktop applications. There are also database packages for PHP that don't require a server, they just run locally.

Can you please run me throught that in simpler language.I am thin on the ground with technical term, so if you could in brackets write the full lenght text for 'PHP-GTK'.Many Thanks, Fermat.

Pretty much every machine these days have an IP address. If the machine is the only one on a network, then you can reference your web server using http://127.0.0.1/ that is standard and reserved for all local hosts. If you are on a a network, then you will simply need to make sure that machine has a static IP and not one dynamically (DHCP) assigned - then use it to access your web server.You can use php, coldfusion, or asp for you application. But if you are not familiar with any of those languages then I'm not sure you will find an easier solution if you have to move into java, c++, etc. (unless you are familiar with them of course).

If you are on a a network, then you will simply need to make sure that machine has a static IP and not one dynamically (DHCP) assigned - then use it to access your web server.
How can I request a static IP adress?

How can I request a static IP adress?
I think I am missing something regarding the environment you are working in. There is no question you will still be able to use any server side scripting language (php, asp, coldfusion), its only a logistical thing to work out. I do not think I understand how and where you application is getting built.For instance, are you building something on a computer that:
  • is only going to be used by that computer?
  • is only going to be used by other computers on a local area network?
  • is only going to be used by other computers that are not on your network(outside your firewall) via the internet?

In the first scenario, you do not need to do anything special, if you are using windows, be sure IIS is installed and you can use http://localhost, http://127.0.0.1, or the default IP address that Microsoft sets when the PC cannot find a connection (can't remember it off hand)In the second scenario, you would have to use the assigned internal IP address to access the one computer from the others. So you can have your LAN router dynamically assign it, but its best to have it static - which you do on that PC in the Network Settings area. The 192.168 class is reserved for local networks so you can do whatever you want with that.The third scenario is the more complex one. First you have to do all of the first and second scenarios, then you have to set up your firewall our router to map you internal static IP address to your global (ISP provided) IP address. This will allow HTTP request sent to your global IP to be routed internally to you hosting PC. As it was mentioned in the previous post, it would be in your best interest to contact your provider and request they assign you a static IP for your internet connection (usually a nominal fee attached - maybe $5 a month). Then, once you map your internal PC to the external IP, your application (and your entire network mind you) is exposed to the outside world.I'm not sure how much this helps, if at all it is even applicable - I could be missing a scenario - like you want this application to be portable. The scenario I describe is not portable in the sense that you move one file or files from one server to the next and voila. My example would require that the web server, scripting language engine, and the database engine be installed where ever you want to move it. That, of course, is solved these days by setting it up on a virtual server - so (essentially) it can be portable.

Archived