Important GMail issue - JavaScript

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

Ok I need to know how this happens. Here is the instructions to seeing it:1. Open GMail at http://mail.google.com in Firefox/Netscape/Flock/Minefield.2. Make sure that you are in Standard view. This ensures that JavaScript is working.3. Open a threaded message. If you don't have one, get a friend to send an email back and forth a few times.4. Make sure the threaded message has a long line. This isn't necessary, but the horizontal scrollbar in the browser is.5. Open up all the threads.6. Look in the bottom right corner where you see the little red/green thing that has an arrow and your name/your friend's name. It is displayed over the scrollbar.How do they do that?

Umm... you could use pageYOffset / scrollTop (getting the current amount scrolled down) plus a tracker variable to record which parts of the conversation are open or not, then have a div that scrolls with the page to display the current part the client is looking at... what sort of application are you thinking of?btw - this isn't an "issue", it is a "feature"

I'm not sure what they did to make that happen, Google enjoys making their code as complex as humanly possible, but I see it in Opera 9.5. I can't see it in Firefox because Firefox goes into an infinite Javascript loop when I click on any message (FirefoxSucks), but it's definately a browser bug. No browser should be rendering any content outside of the viewable area. Google certainly did not mean for that to happen (it messes up the page display a little), so you shouldn't be trying to replicate this for your own use. It's a bug that will eventually get fixed on browsers.Since GMail uses frames this might be a frame issue, it might be hovering over the frame scrollbar and not the browser UI scrollbar.

Guest FirefoxRocks

I'm trying to replicate this to get Mozilla to fix the bug as fast as possible. I'm going to post it on Bugzilla if it is successfully replicated.

I see it in Opera 9.5. I can't see it in Firefox
That is funny, for me it was the reverse - in Firefox it worked fine but in Opera when you scroll the page the indicator div is replicated instead of moved.

Archived