Text Transform

elementalgrace

I know, I know - IE5 virtually came out of the ark but the site I'm designing for needs to be ie5 compatible as much of the client base using it still use IE5. By and large the issues have been quite small, although doubtless this will change over the course of the build. One thing I am curious about is whether text-transform is supported in IE5? I have done some searches on the web which seem to indicate that text-transform is unsupported only where font-variant:small-caps is also used. However, I'm not using font-variant but it doesn't appear to be picking up the text-transform in IE5.5 regardless. It works in all the other browsers (IE6, IE7, FF, Opera, Safari for Mac and Safari for PC) though so it's not an error with my code as far as I can see.The code has to be AAA accessible so I can't use any dodgy hacks to work around it if it doesn't. Honestly it's not a huge deal but would be interesting to know if anyone else has come across this issue and if so, what you did about it?

I don't know about text-transform, but fortunatly, even in IE5, you can use conditional comments to solve CSS issues.But... you won't be able to make it triple A conformant AND pretty. That's impossible for IE5, hard for IE6, and doable (but still hard) for IE7. You'll have to sacrifice something at some point. FYI, IE6 is available even for Windows 98 in case that's the reason a lot of your clients use IE5. Try to make them upgrade to at least that.

I don't know about text-transform, but fortunatly, even in IE5, you can use conditional comments to solve CSS issues.But... you won't be able to make it triple A conformant AND pretty. That's impossible for IE5, hard for IE6, and doable (but still hard) for IE7. You'll have to sacrifice something at some point. FYI, IE6 is available even for Windows 98 in case that's the reason a lot of your clients use IE5. Try to make them upgrade to at least that.
*Touch Wood* it seems to be doing ok so far, though quite how much longer that will continue without me swearing like a trouper at IE I'm not sure. Providing that each of the browsers display closely enough I can cope with the fact it might be a few pixels different in each. Trying to get the site pixel perfect in 6 different browsers is asking for a holiday in the looney bin!Conditional comments really are a godsend, though I still can't find a way to force IE5.5 to listen to the text-transform command.

Archived