And I thought this would be easy!

40043mo

I'm an old dog trying to learn some new tricks. I've been searching the forum for a few days now, as time permits, looking for posts related to the problem I am having. :)I have been unsuccessful uploading web pages to the site I recently acquired at godaddy. I have uploaded to the Public folder at the site with no joy. Godaddy replied that I should upload to the root directory. Neophyte that I am, godaddy's response goes right over my head, though I tried uploading to the folder (named: ..) at the top of the list on the FTP utility at godaddy. :) I've checked out library books, looked at some web sites with uploading info and asked some people at work, trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I get the feeling that I am not getting something fundamental about the FTP process. :) Direction to any tutorials or other information on the basics of the FTP process would probably steer me in the right direction allowing me the thrill of seeing my practise xhtml/CSS coding actually online.Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

if I'm correct, the "root directory" is like the default file for most things that you are putting into your site...I'm not completely sure but I got a definition of an FTP server. I'm sure it won't help much but this is spur of the moment (connection and time issues), hope this helps at least a little

FTP ServerA web server you can logon to, and download files from (or upload files to). Anonymous FTP is a method for downloading files from an FTP server without using a logon account.

Btw welcome to these Forums, am a newbie to, but I will try my best to help.OK, did you upload the pages but there not showing?Try the front page, renaming it to something like:-index.htmI am not sure, as it was a while when I had a webpage on the net, and that is what a webhoster told em to do if am right, if am not then forget this post :) I hope that might get you started?

Btw welcome to these Forums, am a newbie to, but I will try my best to help.OK, did you upload the pages but there not showing?Try the front page, renaming it to something like:-index.htmThat might get you started?
Yes, uploaded code to the public and .. folders, but it's not showing. Yep, the file was named index.htm ( 1 of the allowed, godaddy home page file names). By the way, the domain name is eauctionsplus.com.

Different Hosts use different names for things, but many use "public_html" or "www" as the web-accessible folder of your account.And often times, the list of accebtable "Index" file names include index, Index, Home, and Home with file extensions of html, htm, php, so try checking again the exact folder and file name.Another thing is: How new is the Domain name? and are the Name Servers pointed to the Godaddy account and how recently?It can take as long as 72 hours for the Name server information to propagate throughout the web.

hrmm... is there a folder with your username as its name? looking in the tutorials for uploading files to your site, it seems that is where you have to put them.

hrmm... is there a folder with your username as its name? looking in the tutorials for uploading files to your site, it seems that is where you have to put them.
:) No. :) I finally figured out that their root directory isn't a folder and that GoDaddy's FTP client is, um, less than useful.I uploaded a super simple page using FileZilla so am finally off and running. :blink: Well, maybe still stumbling along is more like it. Then I'll learn how to walk and we'll eventually be able to run. Now I can really start stumbling with the xhtml and CSS and see what happens.Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions! For sure I'll be back with more questions as well as lurking about for other useful tidbitds of coding info from everyone. :)

Archived