unterminated string literal

pdedecker

Firebug, the Firefox extension that allows you to debug your code, returns this error when I tried to do some scripting:

unterminated string literal on line 67document.getElementById('newcomment').innerHTML = "<form style=\"background-co...showPackage.php?id=1
Where did I go wrong? Here's line 67:
	function newComment() {		document.getElementById('newcomment').innerHTML = "<form style=\"background-color: grey; padding: 10px; width: 95%\"><textarea id=\"newcomment-box\" style=\"width: 98%; height: 100px\" onkeypress=\"setTimeout('commentLengthCheck()', 500)\" maxlength=\"1500\"></textarea><br /><br /><p style=\"color: white\">You have <span id=\"newcomment-charsleft\" style=\"font-weight: bold\">1500</span> characters left.</p><?php	require_once('include/recaptcha.php'); $publickey = 'SOMETHINGGOESHERE'; ?><script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=SOMETHINGGOESHERE\"></script><noscript><iframe src=\"http://api.recaptcha.net/noscript?k=SOMETHINGGOESHERE\" height=\"300\" width=\"500\" frameborder=\"0\"></iframe><br /><textarea name=\"recaptcha_challenge_field\" rows=\"3\" cols=\"40\"></textarea><input type=\"hidden\" name=\"recaptcha_response_field\" value=\"manual_challenge\"></noscript></form>";	}

<?php require_once('include/recaptcha.php'); $publickey = 'SOMETHINGGOESHERE'; ?>
The recaptcha.php file must be echoing some text with a quotation mark in it. Why don't you just put the form in another division that is hidden until the function is called?

I can assure you that is not causing any problems. Here's the actual page output:

function newComment() {		// alert("Currently out of order.");		document.getElementById('newcomment').innerHTML = "<form style=\"background-color: grey; padding: 10px; width: 95%\"><textarea id=\"newcomment-box\" style=\"width: 98%; height: 100px\" onkeypress=\"setTimeout('commentLengthCheck()', 500)\" maxlength=\"1500\"></textarea><br /><br /><p style=\"color: white\">You have <span id=\"newcomment-charsleft\" style=\"font-weight: bold\">1500</span> characters left.</p><script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W\"></script><noscript><iframe src=\"http://api.recaptcha.net/noscript?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W\" height=\"300\" width=\"500\" frameborder=\"0\"></iframe><br /><textarea name=\"recaptcha_challenge_field\" rows=\"3\" cols=\"40\"></textarea><input type=\"hidden\" name=\"recaptcha_response_field\" value=\"manual_challenge\"></noscript></form>";	}

I have a strong feeling that this has got something to do with that </script> tag. Do I have to change it into <\/script> perhaps?

[...] Do I have to change it into <\/script> perhaps?
No. Afraid I can't quite see what you're trying to do here :) but
  • </script> is used to end a script block in an html page. I don't think would be valid to include </script> in an element's inner html;
  • I'm not sure of your intent with <noscript>, but remember, this function will not be executed in the first place if the browser doesn't support scripts.

I have a strong feeling that this has got something to do with that </script> tag. Do I have to change it into <\/script> perhaps?
You could always try it. I haven't tried to dynamically write a script element to the page through innerHTML in a long time but I do vaguely remember having to either escape the closing script tag or to break it up:"<\/script>""</scr" + "ipt>"If the innerHTML route still doesn't work for you, you might consider using the DOM's createElement method:
var script = document.createElement("script");script.type = "text/javascript";script.src = "http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W";document.getElementById("myContainerElement").appendChild(script);

[...] I do vaguely remember having to either escape the closing script tag or to break it up:"<\/script>""</scr" + "ipt>"
Good point--hadn't seen that might be was what was going on. I would like more information to understand the overall intent better...

I would like more information to understand the overall intent better...
Okay, here's the deal. I'm building this download site called UbuntuPKG. Long story short: I want users to be able to add comments to application pages. To prevent spam, I want to implement reCAPTCHA (instructions).ubuntupkg1ib2.th.jpgubuntupkg2uf6.th.jpg(Note: I manually added the output of echo recaptcha_get_html($publickey); to the JavaScript command in order to get full control of the code.)

Okay, here's the deal. I'm building this download site called UbuntuPKG. Long story short: I want users to be able to add comments to application pages. To prevent spam, I want to implement reCAPTCHA (instructions).ubuntupkg1ib2.th.jpgubuntupkg2uf6.th.jpg(Note: I manually added the output of echo recaptcha_get_html($publickey); to the JavaScript command in order to get full control of the code.)
OK but I still don't see why you want to generate the element contents in a javascript function. Edit: ...or why you want to put a script block in that element. /Edit
[...] Why don't you just put the form in another division that is hidden until the function is called?
What would be the reason not to do as Synook suggests?

Btw, looking at your code... what is the point of a noscript block that is generated by JavaScript? :)

There's not a syntax error in the code, so it must be the script tags. And, as suggested, there's no point to having a noscript tag in this context. Try this:

function newComment() {		// alert("Currently out of order.");		document.getElementById('newcomment').innerHTML = "<form style=\"background-color: grey; padding: 10px; width: 95%\"><textarea id=\"newcomment-box\" style=\"width: 98%; height: 100px\" onkeypress=\"setTimeout('commentLengthCheck()', 500)\" maxlength=\"1500\"></textarea><br /><br /><p style=\"color: white\">You have <span id=\"newcomment-charsleft\" style=\"font-weight: bold\">1500</span> characters left.</p><scr"+"ipt type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W\"></scr"+"ipt></form>";	}

It doesn't work to write a script tag using innerHTML, the script does not get executed. You can try it by writing just a simple script tag with an alert statement, you won't see the popup. Opera shows me that the generated source of the page is this:

<html>  <HEAD>	<TITLE>captcha test</TITLE>	<script type="text/javascript">	function newComment() {		// alert("Currently out of order.");		document.getElementById('newcomment').innerHTML = "<form style=\"background-color: grey; padding: 10px; width: 95%\"><textarea id=\"newcomment-box\" style=\"width: 98%; height: 100px\" onkeypress=\"setTimeout('commentLengthCheck()', 500)\" maxlength=\"1500\"></textarea><br /><br /><p style=\"color: white\">You have <span id=\"newcomment-charsleft\" style=\"font-weight: bold\">1500</span> characters left.</p><scr"+"ipt type=\"text/javascript\">alert(\"test!\");</scr"+"ipt><scr"+"ipt type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W\"></scr"+"ipt></form>";	}	</SCRIPT>  </HEAD>  <BODY>   <DIV id="newcomment"><FORM style="background-color: grey; padding: 10px; width: 95%"><TEXTAREA id="newcomment-box" style="width: 98%; height: 100px" onkeypress="setTimeout('commentLengthCheck()', 500)" maxlength="1500"></TEXTAREA><BR><BR><P style="color: white">You have <SPAN id="newcomment-charsleft" style="font-weight: bold">1500</SPAN> characters left.</P><script type="text/javascript">alert("test!");</SCRIPT><script type="text/javascript" src="http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W"></SCRIPT></FORM></DIV>   <A href="java script:void(0);" onclick="newComment();">add</A>  </BODY></html>

Clearly there is a script in there with an alert statement, clicking on the link to run the function shows the text box but does not execute the Javascript.You can't use innerHTML to run a script, the innerHTML is just displayable content. If you want to run the script you need to use document.write.

You can use innerHTML to put scripts in the page, but, like justsomeguy said, they won't execute on their own. To get them to execute, you have to use a pretty lame little hack like this:

<html><body><div id="test"></div><script type="text/javascript">// load the html into the element using innerHTMLvar html = "<scrip" + "t>alert('This script is added to the DOM using innerHTML');</scri" + "pt>";document.getElementById("test").innerHTML = html;// then, later, get all the script elementsvar scripts = document.getElementById("test").getElementsByTagName("script");for(var i = 0; i < scripts.length; i++){  // eval the innerHTML of the script.	eval(scripts[i].innerHTML);}</script></body></html>

But, as a hack, I'm not certain that this will work in all instances. You're better off rethinking how you get this script on the page. Perhaps something more like this:

<script type="text/javascript" id="captchascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">document.getElementById("captchascript").src = "http://api.recaptcha.net/challenge?k=6LdimAAAAAAAANmKV9CQ-WG6N9qpL30q2KL_xw4W";</script>

Archived