DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC

Fr3ak0ut

Got a problem with changing scroll-color, when I'm in the html documents deletes/add:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

With: It's just the scroll-color that errors.Without: Frame to right won't work + everything moves to left instead of middle, but scroll-color work. Know that this "doctype" have something to do with the official settings for html, like:black = #000000. So please, tell me the <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"> thing that may work with my frames... :cry:

Got a problem with changing scroll-color, when I'm in the html documents deletes/add:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

With: It's just the scroll-color that errors.Without: Frame to right won't work + everything moves to left instead of middle, but scroll-color work. Know that this "doctype" have something to do with the official settings for html, like:black = #000000. So please, tell me the <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"> thing that may work with my frames... :cry:

The "doctype" thing (DTD) tells the browser what kind of document it is. Your DTD doesn't look complete; there's some info here about DTDs. (You mention frames, and there is a frameset DTD, but actually your source doesn't appear to use frames? so the frameset DTD would not be relevant.)BTW I don't know if the scrollbar styling works at all in Firefox: it didn't when I just tried, from your page (2) or from the Try It example.

Thanks for your accurate reply edit, I know it's not really frames. I'm using this kind of .css layout: http://webbdesignskolan.com/css-layout/lay...yout2/sida1.htm
OK. BTW I see that site has the same DTD you used, with no URI. Weird. The W3C site says:
Typical usage: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">... The URI used as a system identifier with the public identifier allows the user agent to download the DTD and entity sets as needed.
But I just tried the W3C validator, and it says that site is valid!So I would like to know what is the point of the URI being optional.

Archived