Questions by PM

jlhaslip

Just received a question from a Member by Pm about something that should have been asked via a New Topic, so here is my reply:

Sorry, I have a policy to not answer questions by PM.Please start a new Topic and everyone can answer. Different methods and opinions might be needed.
I don't want the Member to take it personally, but the purpose of the Forum is to share our learning levels and experiences.When the questions are asked on the Board, you will likely receive better answers, and it also makes the answer available to many more people so they learn, too.Indeed, I thank the Member for selecting me from the crowd to ask the question, but the most suitable place for questions is on the Boards.Thanks.

Just received a question from a Member by Pm about something that should have been asked via a New Topic, so here is my reply:I don't want the Member to take it personally, but the purpose of the Forum is to share our learning levels and experiences.When the questions are asked on the Board, you will likely receive better answers, and it also makes the answer available to many more people so they learn, too.Indeed, I thank the Member for selecting me from the crowd to ask the question, but the most suitable place for questions is on the Boards.Thanks.
I agree. And in fact just yesterday I sent the following reply to a PM:
I do think the forums are usually the best way to get help, because:- more people can contribute to the discussion, and- the discussion can help more people (then, and into the future)I like to pick up new tricks by reading the forum discussions myself, but I would not be able to do that if they had all been one-to-one PMs!
As you say, it's a compliment to be selected by a member for an individual question, but usually the best way is by posting to the forums.

Archived