Peer-To-Peer Files

xpsycho10x

ISOhunt is a good tracker. If you want a client the Opera browser has a bittorrent client built-in, or you can download Azureus, it's probably the most popular bittorrent client. I just downloaded the 1.8GB Crysis demo not too long ago in about 3 hours, it was going pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a pity that peer-to-peer has become so closely associated with the illegal file-sharing industry :) there are many speed and data integrity advantages of transferring data via peer-to-peer networks.

It seems to me, that to avoid such a said association with piracy, most big download websites haven't even turned to the peer-to-peer model, and instead stick to the current download-as-you-get-it from their servers. This might be to keep costs down over implementing a new architect, even though it won't be as fast, and in some cases with smaller files, it wouldn't make much of a difference. But imagine how much better sites like Fileshack would be if they did this. I mean aside from movies and music, it's game patches and programs like this that would see the most benefit, and then video sharing sites would be my next guess. That is a big audience, but P2P has gotten "stigma stink", and groups like the RIAA, MPAA, and pirates themselves don't help at all. On the plus side, P2P clients themselves are great downloading clients in general for things both on P2P networks and off.

I used to download various games and programs until I became a programmer and realized that programmers count on their customers paying them to stay in work. Any program or game I've been looking forward to I will happily pay money for, I have no problem spending money on something like Crysis. I would prefer that they get my money so that they can afford to make another game. I won't necessarily pay for something that I wouldn't pay for anyway, but anything I use regularly I pay for.

yeah, bitcomet is slower than bitloard and p2p are alot better and download alot faster
Apparently not if you have Comcast (i.e. me). At least not anymore with this ISP will you see better downloads over P2P networks than the conventional server to client model out there. Though if you ask me this seems like some net netruality advocates would not want to see, even if P2P is mainly associated with piracy.http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139854-page,1/article.html

Comcast has been busted for a bunch of things where they shut off the connection. It might not be related to bittorrent so much as just general bandwidth usage, Comcast customers have reported occasions where the connection gets lost. Comcast does that by figuring out who is using all the bandwidth and sending that computer a message that basically tells it to end the connection. If you don't like the fact that Comcast does that you can let them know by voting with your wallet and moving your service elsewhere. Until the politicians can get together a law to stop ISPs from doing things like this (which doesn't seem very likely that something like that would pass any time soon), that's the choice you have.

Here's a list of Comcast-related articles on Slashdot:http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8Comcast has been denying or restricting certain types of traffic, like bittorrent traffic. Net neutrality advocates are trying to push Washington to make a law that says that ISPs cannot discriminate based on the type of traffic. This is something similar to what happened with AT&T years ago. AT&T would refuse to allow certain political messages to go across their phone lines, and as a response the "common carrier" law was passed that said that phone companies must allow all traffic on their network regardless of the type, in other words they can't discriminate which traffic to allow and what not to allow. The common carrier law didn't apply to ISPs (there were no ISPs), so now the ISPs are doing the same thing. A lot of people would like to see a law passed that said that ISPs had to allow all traffic on their network regardless of the type of traffic. ISPs would still be allowed to do traffic shaping, which is part of quality of service, and in that case they just might say that bittorrent is the lowest priority of traffic so all of the bandwidth will be used for everything else first, and then bittorrent, but they aren't doing that, they're just outright closing the connection.

Archived