Firefox 2.0.0.9 Upgrade

jlhaslip

It is a dedicated development server. I am usually the only one logged into it.dual Xeon processors 2Gb RAM. It shouldn't be a problem.The only thing I can think of is the network traffic is too much for the network.We have 5 servers, 30-40 users, 3 dedicated connections (1 for web server, 1 for other 2 domain controllers and my dev server, 1 for Client VPN server) all on a 100Mbps network line. Our sys admin started to setup a 1Gbps connection between all servers and terminals but he quit before it was done and nobody has had the time to finish it.As for the crash problem I don't know if that is related or not. Some software just runs oddly under Citrix or Terminal Services.

As for the crash problem I don't know if that is related or not. Some software just runs oddly under Citrix or Terminal Services.
I'm not on any type of thin client and the forum still crashes for me. It is the only site that I've visited that crashes Firefox and it happens within 30 seconds.

so RDP and terminal services probably have nothign to do with it then. It crashes within 30 seconds for me too.
And you say that's only on your home PC, not your work one (server). What OSes?For me it crashes in 30 seconds under XP, and never under Vista. (Both same FF update, both direct access.) I may reinstall FF on the XP box at some point to see if that changes anything. I may also turn on this Talkback add-on because at the end of the day, whatever the explanation about the w3schools forum "causing" it, it has got to be a bug with FF. You should not be able to write code that crashes a browser.

It only crashes at work. The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and the thin client runs Windows XP Embedded. It runs fine at home on Windows XP SP2
(2nd attempt at posting this reply: the first one was itself a victim of the famous Firefox crash!!! :))Not obviously OS-related then, as XP SP2 is the one Firefox crashes on for me when browsing these forums.I've switched on the Mozilla Talkback add-on which sends information about crashes back to Mozilla. I've taken to using the Vista box only when composing a reply (forgot this time!), and otherwise using the XP box for all browsing of the forums, so that I can start to send some crash info back to Mozilla (3 or 4 sent already). Hopefully if others do this too we can get the message across and the bug will be fixed in a new version of Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...
Mhhh, I think it depends by Firebug. Firefox does not crash since I've disable it for this site..
That was suggested earlier in this thread, but I thought that explanation was discounted? However, looking back, I can't see that it definitively was discounted, so that seems to remain a possibility.The Firefox crash problem on these forums is so bad I've completely abandoned Firefox on my XP box till it's fixed. Am only able to use Firefox on my Visa box. Both boxes have Firebug enabled, but Firefox has never crashed on the Visa box despite heavy use of these forums.

Mhhh, I think it depends by Firebug. Firefox does not crash since I've disable it for this site..
That was suggested earlier in this thread, but I thought that explanation was discounted? However, looking back, I can't see that it definitively was discounted, so that seems to remain a possibility.The Firefox crash problem on these forums is so bad I've completely abandoned Firefox on my XP box till it's fixed. Am only able to use Firefox on my Visa box. Both boxes have Firebug enabled, but Firefox has never crashed on the Visa box despite heavy use of these forums.
Yup, seems to be Firebug. I've now spent some time back on the XP box in these forums, on two separate days, with zero Firefox crashes since disabling Firebug. Previously it would have been crashing every few mouse-clicks. So the difference is very clear.And, guess what, turns out it's been known about in the Mozilla forums since 26 May :)Mozilla forum: Firebug crashes FirefoxNote to anyone needing to disable: personally I disabled Firebug completely in the Tools, Add-ons dialog. Firebug also has its own "disable" menu, and using that may stop the crashing too, but I don't propose to spend any time finding that out right now. :)

just dropping by to post the very same results as above. Firebug is what is doing it... but why only here at the w3schools Forum? I go to other IPB Forums and don't have the same problem there?

I'm assuming there are a lot of errors here that get generated in the error console. FF's built in console somehow manages the large amount, but not Firebug's console.

just dropping by to post the very same results as above. Firebug is what is doing it... but why only here at the w3schools Forum? I go to other IPB Forums and don't have the same problem there?
Different ads, maybe. The thread in the Mozilla forum mentioned pop-up windows. I noticed whenever it crashed in the w3schools forums, it nearly always had something like this in the status bar:
waiting for pagead2.googlesyndication.com
But to me that's academic... should not be possible to code a site to crash a browser, so it still comes down to a software bug in the browser or the add-in.Maybe that's why the name Firebug was chosen for this add-in. :)

Lol a very simple piece of code can crash a browser - the JS script below did the trick for me in Firefox

function crash() {	string = "";	for (i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) {		string += "..................";		setInterval(crash, 0);	}}crash();

But there will always be ways to crash a browser - it is when websites start being able to do things to other parts of your computer that you get worried...

I go to other IPB Forums and don't have the same problem there?
What about other Invisionfree forums?

• 1 month later...

I seem to have resolved this issue by Browsing this Forum in a FirefoxPortable off a Flash drive without Firebug as an extension.Works for me, but sure do miss the Firebug Extension here. :)

Archived