Subquery not working

vchris

I'm trying to create a subquery but it doesn't seem to be working.$sql1 = "SELECT * FROM db1.table1 WHERE field1=(SELECT post_id FROM db1.table2 WHERE field1=9795)";$result1 = mysql_query($sql1,$dbc1);while($row1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($result1)){ echo $row1['field1'].'<br />';}I get this error:Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in...Both queries work fine by themselves and looks to me like the subquery syntax is fine. Anything I could be missing?

Maybe you should do the other query first and add it into the second query after. Like this:$res0 = mysql_query("SELECT post_id FROM db1.table2 WHERE field1=9795",$dbc1);$row0 = mysql_fetch_array($res0);$sql1 = "SELECT * FROM db1.table1 WHERE field1=(".$row0['post_id'].")";$result1 = mysql_query($sql1,$dbc1);while($row1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($result1)){echo $row1['field1'].'<br />';}

I don't know, I'm just suggesting because I've never used subqueries, so I can't be sure exactly how they work. If performing the query before works ok then at least your script will be working.Maybe somebody else can find a different solution.

Trying echoing mysql_error() after performing the query. That will tell you what is wrong.

You guys are funny, just trying stuff without looking up the syntax first. You don't use the equal sign with subqueries, you use IN.$sql1 = "SELECT * FROM db1.table1 WHERE field1 IN (SELECT post_id FROM db1.table2 WHERE field1=9795)";Also, make sure that the version of MySQL you're using supports subqueries. I believe they added that in version 4. If not, you can use a join instead.$sql1 = "SELECT db1.table1.* FROM db1.table1, db1.table2 WHERE db1.table1.field1=db1.table2.post_id AND db1.table2.field1=9795";

Archived