Image formats

Glom

I'm thinking I might be forced into using bitmaps for some of my button images. I want the buttons to blend into the container but neither png nor jpg is capable of preserving the colour sufficiently well. There is always a slight difference in tone which makes the edges of the picture show up. Gif seems to work fine except it destroys the quality of image. So I'm left with bmp.Currently, the total size of the template page (ie not including the content) is 125KB. That's the markup, the stylesheet and all the images (a mixture of png, jpg and gif). If I change the images I want to bmp, it becomes 132KB. That sounds like small change really. Are there any other reasons to avoid bmp?

I wouldn't ever use BMP on the internet, that's a really big format. If what you want is to make the color blend into the background, why not use a PNG with transparency rather than trying to make it equal with the background color?

Guest FirefoxRocks

BMP will only display on Windows computers, so if your viewers are using Linux or a Mac (Apple computer), they won't see the image.

neither png nor jpg is capable of preserving the colour sufficiently well
If you are worried about color depth loss, then why not save as PNG-32? That can store more colors than bitmaps (24 bit) and is more compatable.

Archived