Errors

prog.infant

Hello one and all,My boss has recently implored me to begin working on Macromedia Flash 4 so that he will have some form of a graphics designer on his hands. So today when I went to work on the project that I had started yesterday, everything seemed to be working perfectly. The stuff that's supposed to move, moves and is great. However, whenever I try to copy a particular graphic that has been used in the project, Flash immediately freezes and pops up with:

"Flash 4.0 r12 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience....We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous... Send Error Report / Don't send"

Frankly, I find those to be a load of crud and don't bother sending them. I was wondering if anyone would be able to determine just what it is that I'm doing wrong that's causing this error, or if there's possibly something wrong with the computer I'm using, or the program itself.Note: This problem did not occur yesterday when I was working on the project.Any suggestions or tops are greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance,Prog.Infant

Flash is a fairly unstable program to begin with, and version 4 is really, really, really, really old. Get your boss to plop down the cash for a recent version, the most recent is Flash 8, I don't know what they call it though. CS something or other or MX or possibly some other combination of letters. Anything but "version 8", because that would make too much sense, and making sense is not the business of Adobe or Macromedia.

Flash CS3 (Creative Suite 3) is the newest version, retailing for around 700 USD. Version 8 was the version before that, and the last version before Flash (and all former Macromedia products) were integrated into the creative suite package. Flash MX 2004 was the last version to be produced under Macromedia before it was bought by Adobe. Flash 4 is eight years old!

I wouldn't say on impulse that my boss is a stickler for keeping things as long as possible, but that's how it seems-- especially when I've hinted at him several times to get Adobe Photoshop. I'm fully aware of how old this program is D: Unfortunately I don't think he'll comply, considering I would be the only employee complaining about it.However, if that's all that the issue is, then that's great! If it happens more frequently, I'll definitely run that by him, and will hopefully get a newer version of the program.Thanks a lot.

If that's not enough of a reason, remind him that there is a reason that Macromedia did not stop development with Flash 4. The reason is because Flash 4 is not perfect. There are a ton of features that have been added to Flash since then that will add better effects to your movies or make it more efficient for you to develop and re-use components. If you are publishing Flash movies that can't use any of the features in Flash player 5+ then you're missing out. It's the same reason why Microsoft didn't stop development with Windows 98. There are a ton of features available in Windows today that were not in 98. Your boss isn't still using Windows 98 is he? Flash 4 and Windows 98 were released around the same time.To further get the point across, the company I work for used to resell Macromedia products. We have several boxed retail versions of Flash 5 still in cabinets that were never sold and never will be because no one would be willing to buy Flash 5 today. If you send me an address I might be able to ship one if you pay the shipping cost. That's still not much of an upgrade though, it would still be better to pony up and pay for the latest and greatest.

Archived