Homepage Design

jwalker

My wife sales jewelry locally and wanted to expand to the web, and me being new to all this it has taken me alittle bit of time to do this. I am only really done with the first page and have the other pages just thrown together and put up. I will be adding some more pictures to the rotating image up top. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.http://www.tracysoneofakind.comThanks,JEsse

You really should learn to use thumnails. Even if you use a code to resize the appearance of an image as you have, the whole big image is still downloaded, and that takes away a VERY big part of the page downloading time. Open an image editor, and create new smaller version of the images that are just the size you use on the page's code. That way, no more content than what's really needed will be downloaded. THIS IS OF TOP MOST IMPORTANCE AND IS APPLICABLE TO ALL IMAGES ON THE SITE. Slow sites give one of the worst impressions a person may take of a site.The color scheme doesn't seem very good, but I'm no designer, so I'll let others reccomend better color schemes.I'm letting aside the fact you've used tables for layout, increasing page load times even furher.

First, add some text padding with css, then make the text colour less imposing. I think the red text is a bit off putting.Also, with the changing images, have them change separatly.I too am no designer.

Yes, the various colors for the non-linking header and the body text provide a very harsh contrast to the page background. I would suggest a dark grey for the header, and just black for the body.The sub-title (Handmade Bead Jewelry and Accessories) is slightly hard to read. Remember people are only going to "skim" your site, if they find something hard to read they won't read it. Perhaps a different font, a normal weight or no italic? Also, blue text makes people think "link!" so you could make your header a hyperlink back to the homepage.Try to make everything align on your page, currently the header table is not as wide as the body table. For the tables, use CSS to make border-collapse:collapse; , the curent table borders are too intrusive in my opinion.Finally, spelling mistake, the thrid paragraph first occurance of "bead" has an extra "e" on the end.Happy developing :)

Also, the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom is vertually invisible. I recommend a light blue for the text colour.

I've added some text padding to it, is that too much padding or not enough ?? Also just a question, how do you do the automatic linking, i.e. if you want them to be redirected to another link in a specific amount of time.Also, I have a new form up, it is very basic but can you guys check it out and let me know what you think? The link is:http://www.tracysoneofakind.com/contactform.htmlI have tested the coding and it works but need help with the design of it and if I have enough inputs or should I break it up, make them larger?I appreciate all the help and look forward to hearing your feedback.Thanks,Jesse

Archived