Any more secure??

guitar idiot

<?phpsession_start(); if (isset($_GET ['logout'])) { $_SESSION = array(); if ($_COOKIE[session_name()]) { setcookie(session_name(), '', time()-42000, '/'); } session_destroy(); header('Location: index.php'); } $db_host = 'HIDDEN FOR THREAD'; $db_user = 'HIDDEN FOR THREAD'; $db_pass =''; $db_db = 'user'; if (isset($_POST['username'])) { $db_link = mysql_connect($db_host, $db_user, $db_pass) or die('MySQL Connection Error:' .mysql_error()); mysql_select_db($db_db) or die('Error'); $username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username']); $password = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']); $result = mysql_query("SELECT username, password FROM user WHERE username = '$username' AND password = '$password ' "); $query_row=mysql_fetch_array($result);$user = ($query_row[username]);$pass = ($query_row[password]);if($username=$user and $password=$pass) {$_SESSION['username'] = $username;echo 'Login Successful';} else {echo ' NOOO';}mysql_close($db_link);}?><html><head><title>Login</title></head> <body> <?php if(isset($_SESSION['username'])) { ?> You are now logged in <br /> <a href="?logout=1">Logout</a> <?php } else { ?> <form action="" method="post"> Username: <input type="text" name="username"> <br /><br /> Password: <input type="password" name="password"> <br /> <input type="submit" value="Login"><br /> <a href="register.php">New User</a> <?php } ?> <br /> <?php echo $_SESSION['error']; unset($_SESSION['error']);?> </form> </body></html>This is a simple user name password login, is there any more code I can make so that it has a good defense against hackers and whatnot?

I think the

if($username=$user and $password=$pass) {

should instead be

if($username===$user and $password===$pass) {

as the former just assigns $user to $username, and thus always evaluates to true (I once had this problem too).I don't see why you need the brackets in

$user = ($query_row[username]);$pass = ($query_row[password]);

You may as well just have

$user = $query_row['username'];$pass = $query_row['password'];

(note also the single quotes added so that to ensure the array fetches the string from the array, not a constant)As an additional security layer, you may want to hash passwords and compare the hashes instead of the inputted password by replacing

$password = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']);

with

$password = md5(mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']));

in which case however the user's password must be created as a hash from the start, and that's done in the registration form, not the login form.

Archived