CSS <a href> link color information

tariq_ews

a:link is the style that's applied to a link in its normal state.a:visited is the style of the link if it's already been clicked on before.a:hover is the style of the link while the mouse is over it.a:active is the style of the link while the mouse button is held over the link.

a:link is the style that's applied to a link in its normal state.a:visited is the style of the link if it's already been clicked on before.a:hover is the style of the link while the mouse is over it.a:active is the style of the link while the mouse button is held over the link.
Perfectly said

a:active is when you have clicked on a link but haven't let the mouse button up yet
In IE even after you release the link it will remain in its active: state.

But how will the

a:visited is the style of the link if it's already been clicked on before

be used, if the link will stay on the "active" color?I thought I knew HTML and CSS very good, I've never heard of the active color staying for the visited color. Do you mean they will stay the same color if you code it that way?

But how will the
a:visited is the style of the link if it's already been clicked on before

be used, if the link will stay on the "active" color?

I think he is referring to when you click on a link and release the mouse button, the link will stay "active" until the browser finally decides to, say, direct you to a different URI. Then, when you go back, if that URI is in your browser's history, the link will be "visited".

Archived