need help plz!!!!

commish

Hi all! I'm new to the web building game but i have a question. I've been building a site and saving it as an html file on my computer and have a domain name. What i want to know is how i go about putting the page that I've built onto the website i have registerred????Any help would greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

Welcome and contragulations on getting to the point you are at. The whole web thing has three basic components.

• the website
  • the web server
  • the domain name

It sounds like you definitely have two of the three things tackled. So, you just need a hosting service. I personally recommend Crystal Tech (crystaltech.com) If you are just using good ole HTML and not any scripting language like php, asp, or cold fusion - then you can get away with the $8 a month service. Other might recommend free hosting - but I imagine you don't want adds and you want 24/7 support - CT has been around ofr years, won many awards, and I have over 20 accounts there, one of which grosses over half a million dollars in annual online sales - so they are no joke (don't let the cost of the plans fool ya).Anyway, after decide on your host, you will upload your files to the site. You will be assigned an IP address - this is the physical location of your site - just like the physical address of your house. You cna use that to test everything before getting your domain to point there.Once everything tests out, you will have to log into what ever service you bought your domain through (i.e. networksolutions.com) and goto your domain name server settings. They will need to be set to your new hosting service machines - i.e. ns1.webcontrolcenter.com and ns2.webcontrolcenter.com - which are the CT servers). This will take 24 to 72 hours to propogate world wide and what it does is poijt your domain name to your IP address.And easy analogy is like this:web site address is to domain namelikehome street address is to the "Johnson Family" lives hereTwo ways of getting to the same point. I could say I am going to 209.200.115.211 just like I could say I am going to 1234 My Street Chicago, IL.orI could say I am going to www.iribbit.net just like I could say I am going to Skemcin's house.Anyway, putting your files up is first now that you are as far as you are. Then getting you domain to point to your site wraps it all up.

All right then thanks a lot. I have my domain thru ipower and it sounds like im going to go with there $8 a month service i thought i wouldnt have to but i had a feeling. Thanks for your help and when my site is ready i'll post it. The domain is fansanswer.com so if you'd like to check it out be my guest but i think it will be a few days b4 i get anything on it. I'm just waiting for funds to clear to get the package i need to upload my files. Also when you look at my site any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time building a site and all the tutorials on this site and thru boogiejack is helping me immensely. I am so glad that my step brother told me about this site and i'll make sure to tell people bout it myself.