First trie on Web 2.0

Bjornhjorth

First of, the website is gonna be a gamesite ranking the other sites on how many people that vote for them. ( kind of old school :) )So I am trying to get a fresh fell to the site not looking like all the other topsites out there.It is still just a WIP but this is were you come in.I would love some Critique and feedback.btw dont mind the current "sign ups" to the sites as they are just linked to a Database that has nothing to do with games.http://www.topfreegameservers.com

I would suggest changing the content font to a san-serif one and also perhaps increasing the font size slightly. Also, try centering the layout in the body. And, in my browser, the part above the banner is black, instead of the same as the background color. Otherwise, good site :)

I would suggest changing the content font to a san-serif one and also perhaps increasing the font size slightly. Also, try centering the layout in the body. And, in my browser, the part above the banner is black, instead of the same as the background color. Otherwise, good site :)
Thanks for the input.First of the black space above the site is gonna have links to less relative sections like news, last submitted site and so on, so that is gonna fall in place later on.On the Centering part that is gonna be hard, dont get me wrong I would love to get it centered but as I use absolute divs I dont know how to do that.( found out that is the best way to get it 100% accurate in all browsers ).and I will surly trie a larger and a diffrent font.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest making the background of the input fields a dark colour (maybe #333333) and the text a light colour to reduce contrast from the rest of the body.

I would suggest making the background of the input fields a dark colour (maybe #333333) and the text a light colour to reduce contrast from the rest of the body.
dident put #333333 becuse I thought it became to dark but I am trying #ECE5B6 and it softens it alitle.Dont really get what you mean by the text color? If I put a more light color on the font wouldent that give me more contrast from the rest?

yes this is very 2.0ish but i would suggest adding padding on the bottom of your content so it doesn't cut off the text and go right to the bg. and theres space between the navigation button and the dropdown navigation. id suggest taking out the whitespace in the dropdown.this can be done by giving the nav images a display:block; style i believe.

and theres space between the navigation button and the dropdown navigation. id suggest taking out the whitespace in the dropdown.
using Firefox are we :)http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=16387Edit: oyea I forgot to say that I will do something about the bottom, as you are right it looks dumb. Was gonna make it slide but if someone points it out I have to fix it :)

If I put a more light color on the font wouldent that give me more contrast from the rest?
No, I meant that if you make the background of the input fields dark, then you would have to make the text in the input fields light or else it would be hard to see.

I still would suggest centering the site, some experimentation suggests this could be done with a container division and relative positioning used on the graphic links to keep them in line. Or else it may look strange to people with larger resolutions.Nice flood control by the way :)

I too would like to see the page centered. I am one of the people with bigger resolutions, so it does look funny on my screen.In addition, on the contact form, I'd suggest you make the "Refresh Code" link (next to CAPTCHAs) preserve what is already written in the form fields. Otherwise, you're just duplicating the browser's "Refresh" button, which is useless.

I still would suggest centering the site, some experimentation suggests this could be done with a container division and relative positioning used on the graphic links to keep them in line.
You can do that with css:
#container_division_id{margin:0(you must change this "0" by the top margin size) auto 0(you must change this "0" by the bottom margin size) auto;}

or

#container_division_id{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;}

Thanks so much for all your feed back. As stated above I still could fix somethings to make it 100%. But as I sat and looked though the site I found more and more things I whanted to change on it to make it better.For examaple, Removing the edit button in the middle of the screen and placing the logg in to the top right and making a cookie remember them and all that.secondly as stated centering the pagethirdly the sub windows like Add, Edit, contact could use a good overhaul to make it look better and alot more proffesional.As you might notice this goes on forever, but as it stands now I think the site looks good enough to launch ( and all the functions works.)So I am gonna launch and then make a good in depth reading and training in Html.And then make the appropiat changes to it when I learned enough.thanks again for the help as most forums just tell me it looks great when I post something and no bad things.Will make a post in this topic again when I have made the rewamp on the site, will sadly not be done untill the holidays as its cramped at work atm.

The first thing I react on, is that the design is like that and not centered.It would have been improved with maybe 80 % if you center it :)I dont' really have anything more to say about it at the moment i think...

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,I have been very busy so I havent really updated anything untill now.As there was a couple of things and bugs I have to fix on the current design I decided to make a better design as well, cant get satisfied :) The fell of the old design is still very much there but I am gonna change the entire color scheme.The new link to keep your eyes nailed at is:http://topfreegameservers.com/NyIndex.phpHope to here from you all.

I like the new scheme - looks cleaner and more "shiny".Perhaps similar-looking "Add Game Site" and "news" buttons?Also, try making the drop-down menus blend in with the menubar more - maybe no top-border and the same colour as the hover.

Archived