HTML 4 dummies or w3schools?

vladnz

Hi my name is vlad i have recently joined this site . i have always had a passion with computers design programming but i m a total beginner in all of them i would like to ask you guys : is w3schools enough to become a skilled webmaster?i have just bought this book http://www.amazon.com/HTML-Dummies-5th-Ed-...9596&sr=8-1 i would like to ask you if the book as any extra content that w3schools dosen't ?i would really whant to become a good webmaster and i i m thinking of making it my career or a programming career what willl it be your advice ?? or if you have any other suggestions of books etc.. pleas feel free to post themThank you alllBest Regards,Vlad

Well, I guess HTML for dummies maybe has a case study of a website or something..? At least I think that's more common for books. Still, HTML is a language it should be easy enough to learn through w3schools.com and the forum. Webprogramming on the other hand might demand a book for some people, to get the more difficult concepts.

I learned everything I know from zero all from W3Schools. And I didn't know HTML or any other web programming language before that.I don't recommend spending money when you can learn for free. Just read the tutorials and practise with the "Try it" pages that W3Schools provides. http://w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_basic

Well, I guess HTML for dummies maybe has a case study of a website or something..? At least I think that's more common for books. Still, HTML is a language it should be easy enough to learn through w3schools.com and the forum. Webprogramming on the other hand might demand a book for some people, to get the more difficult concepts.
i just thought that a books has more info or something and stuff like that i mean just look at the table of contents http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0764589172...615#reader-link

i just thought that a books has more info or something and stuff like that i mean just look at the table of contents http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0764589172...615#reader-link
Books do help when you're away from the computer. I would often read when I would go on long trips. Even though you can't put to use on the book, it's still very helpful.

Hi my name is vlad i have recently joined this site . i have always had a passion with computers design programming but i m a total beginner in all of them i would like to ask you guys : is w3schools enough to become a skilled webmaster?i have just bought this book http://www.amazon.com/HTML-Dummies-5th-Ed-...9596&sr=8-1 i would like to ask you if the book as any extra content that w3schools dosen't ?i would really whant to become a good webmaster and i i m thinking of making it my career or a programming career what willl it be your advice ?? or if you have any other suggestions of books etc.. pleas feel free to post themThank you alllBest Regards,Vlad
It's not like you're going to wake up one day and say, "oh, no, if only I'd read the book instead of using the internet, I would be at a different place today". There's no need to choose one or the other. Both will help you along the same path. Just keep reading day by day, from the sources that work best for you, and every time you learn something, reinforce it with practical work to try out whatever you've just learned.

• 1 month later...

I read the HTML 4 For Dummies because my parents bought it for me a while back (they thought it was sweet). I skimmed it recently to make sure it didn't have anything useful to me. You can find everything in that book here on W3C. What you may not find in the book is adequate descriptions of why elements like <FONT> have been deprecated. The book also touches on CSS but not significantly.IMHO. The book is good to go over but W3C does a better job of presenting the concepts in a way that is both in-depth, and easy to learn/practice.

The book also touches on CSS but not significantly.
That's because they want you to buy "CSS for Dummies" as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Reg Edit brings a valid point, that is, you don't have to choose one or the other. I believe that W3Schools offers great tutorials and have helped me through a lot, however, don't limit yourself to just these tutorials. A favorite 'teach yourself' book collection of mine is the Sam's Teach Yourself in 24 Hours and for the brief lessons Sam's Teach Yourself in 10 minutes. The O'Rielly teach yourself series, in my opinion, are a little more advanced, but still a great source. The big difference between the W3 Tutorials and these books are that the books show you how the codes you write can be useful in everyday scripting. W3 Schools is a great 'get started' tool, but if you really want to persue, you will either need more advanced tutorials, books, classes, etc. Generally, to become a successful webmaster, you will need more than just HTML knowledge. The most important thing anyone can do in any career, is KEEP LEARNING! Never stop; the more you know, the more you make.

Archived