Content Management

Mithrus

For the longest time, I've wanted to start up a website/forum community. It wasn't until last year I actually decided to just go for it. Things really evolved from my original intentions and what once was my personal blog is now a video game site (we review games and post news, and then talk about it all). Anyway, right now I'm using WordPress, which I'm sure is a disappointment to a good many of you. During this year, I have picked up quite a bit of CSS knowledge, but only enough to heavily modify themes to my liking, but not start one from scratch.I'm now thinking that I want to be able to design my own content management system (I know, big step). I have two domains on the same hosting package, so while I'm learning how to do whatever is required, I can use the second domain for practice and what not.What I want to know is: where do I begin? What languages are used in creating a content management system and which ones are useful to know? I know I want to delve deeper into CSS because that'll be important for the appearance of the site, but what about the backend? I would really appreciate it if someone could maybe point me in the right direction. Oh, and in case you'd like to have a look see at what I've managed so far, the site is www.savingprogress.com.

Before you get too involved in the tutorials - although a logical first step - you might consider really figuring out your requirements. What is it you need to do and what would you really wish you could do. These days, the server side scripting languages only have very slight differences. Most folks here know I am partial to ColdFusion - its tag based and extremely easy to learn. The only down fall to it is that it happens to be only the third most popular server side scripting language so it is likely not installed on the server you are currently using. I'm not gonna toot the ColdFusion horn here and try to convince you why I feel it is superior, you can research it for yourself. What I'm really suggesting is that you get a real good feel for what your requirements are and write them down. This will ensure that all the decisions you need to make (xhtml, css, server scripting language, database engine, etc.) all can meet your needs before you commit to something that is not as capable.re: http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6706

And don't forget to design (i.e. plan) first - write algorithms, draw your database structures and relations, make interface sketches, so that you don't start programming then suddenly realise "oh no, I should have...".

Archived