Dealing with French accents

htmlnewbie23

I am translating certain web pages into French and this therefore involves the use of French accents. I know that one can replace these accented letters with certain codes "é", etc. but it is tedious to have to do this to a entire page of text. I assume there must be a charset I could use so that the accents appear automatically without my having to replace them. Is that the way to deal with this. Is there another way?

If your keyboard doesn't write them then you'll have to put them yourself.The codes would beé é è è ê êÉ É È È Ê ÊThe same with other vowels.If what you want is a character set that will display them rather than using HTML entities, try ISO-8859-1, instead of UTF-8.

If your keyboard doesn't write them then you'll have to put them yourself.The codes would beé é è è ê êÉ É È È Ê ÊThe same with other vowels.If what you want is a character set that will display them rather than using HTML entities, try ISO-8859-1, instead of UTF-8.
Thanks for replying.That is what I was hoping for. If I use ISO-8859-1, will I still need to replace the accented letters with the html codes? Since I am using copy/paste, the accented letters already are in the translated text, but not as html code. I am trying to avoid having to replace each accented letter one by one with code. Will ISO-8859-1 do that?

Dealing with French accents
I don't know about you guys, but I don't deal with them at all. If someone comes at me with a French accent I'm all, like, "hey, buddy, you better start talking like an American or I'm out of here." I just don't put up with it at all.That's my stance on the matter. Let me know if you have any questions.

Well he could be making a bilingual site...And if a French-speaking person went to a site and saw English text, then they would be like "hey, buddy, you better start talking like a Frenchman or I'm out of here" (in French of course) :)

Thanks for replying.That is what I was hoping for. If I use ISO-8859-1, will I still need to replace the accented letters with the html codes? Since I am using copy/paste, the accented letters already are in the translated text, but not as html code. I am trying to avoid having to replace each accented letter one by one with code. Will ISO-8859-1 do that?
If you are using a WYSIWYG editor such as dreamweaver, the all you have to do is paste your content in design view, and dreamweaver will do it for you automatically. (I wouldn't rely to much on WYSIWYG editors though. - If you want to be a coder and irreplaceble that is)

I wouldn't rely to much on WYSIWYG editors though. - If you want to be a coder and irreplaceble that is)
Lol you could put it that way - if you use WYSIWYG then your boss may go "That looks easy, I'm sure Joe from publicity could do that, why do we need you?" whereas if you code by hand then you boss will go "That looks horrible, sure is lucky we have you here!" :)

• 3 months later...

Italian too has its accented characters, I'm just trying php and I find very perplexing that two different implementations of php (one on a free website, one in my drive pen where a PAMPA pre-configured WAMP works very well...) give different results from the same code.... is there some php.ini setting to set? I'm just studying php string functions about html entities - you English speaking guys are SO lucky... :)

I deal with accents all the time since I work in a bilingual environment. I use dreamweavers design mode when pasting text to convert all accents. I also use Macromedia Homesite 5, there is a function to replace all extended characters.

Archived