xampplite + mail server

feck

I've installed and am running a server from my usb stick using the xampplite installation. This has no mail server included so i'm now at a loss as how to configure a simple script such as:

<?phpmail("someone.somewhere.com","Hello World", "Hi, World", "Prepare for our arrival. We're starving!");?>

and get an email sent from my machine.Every time i change the php.ini file ie the sendmail_from attribute or even the 'smtp=' PHP still does not recognise the change wether a mail server is running or not.I tried to install mecury mail on my system and now i do not even know if this is working.any help would be appreciated.thanksps i'm running vista on my test machine if this makes any difference.

You probably have to restart the server if you make any changes to php.ini. Other then that, if you have a mail server set up and configured correctly and the PHP options are set up then it will work. Your ISP might be blocking port 25 so you might not be able to send mail regardless from a home network (most ISPs block port 25 for home service), but if the mail server is there then PHP should be able to find it.

thanks for replying so fast.I've changed my php.ini settings to:[mail function]; For Win32 only.SMTP = localhostsmtp_port = 25; For Win32 only.sendmail_from = "me@example.com"and in phpinfo.phpthe sendmail_from option shows "no value"no matter wether i restart the server or just restart the whole system.

Archived