Next Steps

Joyster

I've read the html/xhtml/css tutorials. Now I need practice to familarize myself with all the tags.I've created one or two webpages of my own.I think now it would be handy to copy example webpages, just to get used to the tags.The webpages could start off simple and perhaps get harder requiring more skill.Is this the best way to proceed?Where will I find the example webpages?Joyster :)

You can go to free template sites and download their code.I would suggest creating a full site on a topic that you like. Maybe a sports team or favorite band. This will teach you some of the process you need to learn for planing and developing websites.

I've read the html/xhtml/css tutorials. Now I need practice to familarize myself with all the tags.I've created one or two webpages of my own.I think now it would be handy to copy example webpages, just to get used to the tags.The webpages could start off simple and perhaps get harder requiring more skill.Is this the best way to proceed?Where will I find the example webpages?Joyster :)
You can browse the web for sites that appeal to you and design identical copies as practice

Be prepared to have to decipher something occasionally. It isn't as if everyone on the web has the same style or practices. You might find a really good page, understand how the tags work and everything, but then you might find that the CSS is abysmally cryptic. Also, be careful not to pick up any bad habits, because, no one is perfect, not even the person who made that awesome design you might want to mimic.

You should find a topic you'd like to make a webpage on and look at their HTML source code and try to figure out how one thing on the webpage was made. Then study the different apsects that the code there does. That's how I got started. I even made my first website on something I like. It's really fun.

May I suggest, if you're looking for somewhere to host a site, use http://www.freehostia.com/Their free hosting doesn't require ads or anything. And you can upgrade to paid accounts that give you a lot more options. I made my first website over a game called Digimon World 2. It's nice to put it on a real server and check out what it'd really look like on the internet. I would suggest just experimenting with different things and just see what they do. Also, if you're going to make a website, I would suggest learning PHP. I thought I'd never use it, but I use it A LOT. But before you get into that, just sign up to a hosting site, learn how to work it, then just mess around and figure out what things do. And don't worry if you mess up. Chances are no one will ever see your site until you start spreading the link around the internet. It took me a LONG time to catch on to how to solve a lot of problems, but because I stuck through it, I now know how to use not only HTML and CSS, 99% of my webpages have PHP on them and are verified in XHTML Strict. Good luck and if you ever need help, just ask. There are a lot of talented and friendly people here that willtry their best to help, including myself.

Freehostia is good, just watch out - you can't use the PHP mail() function without buying an email address from them (this is an anti-spam measure, but irritating :) )

Archived