onclick event using DOM

legolas

I have a number of tiny images, named marker, on my page created with this Javascript loop:var mypoints = xmlhttp.responseXML.getElementsByTagName('point');for (var i=0; i<mypoints.length; i++ ) { var marker = document.createElement('div'); var point = xmlhttp.responseXML.getElementsByTagNam('point').firstChild.nodeValue; marker.style.backgroundImage = 'url(dot.gif)'; marker.style.position = 'absolute'; marker.style.top = top.concat("px"); marker.style.left = left.concat("px"); marker.style.height = '10px'; marker.style.width = '10px'; marker.id = markid; marker.onclick = showDetails; document.body.appendChild(marker);}function showDetails() { // do some actions}When I click on one of the images I want to show some detailed information for this particular image.So with the line "marker.onclick=showDetails", an onclick calls the showDetails function. So far so good.But can this function retrieve properties of the clicked image? Can it know which imageI have clicked on?

You may want to add one more line to that function:

function showDetails(e) {// This gets the event object regardless of browsere = (e) ? e : window.event;// This defines the element that fired the event_obj = (e.srcElement)?e.srcElement:e.target;// Do something with _obj}

You may want to add one more line to that function:
function showDetails(e) {// This gets the event object regardless of browsere = (e) ? e : window.event;// This defines the element that fired the event_obj = (e.srcElement)?e.srcElement:e.target;// Do something with _obj}

Is it really possible that the event is not recognised?

Is it really possible that the event is not recognised?
Yes. IE (version 6, at least) doesn't pass a reference to the event as a parameter to the function so "e" will be undefined. Instead, IE (v6) stores the event in the window.event object.

Well, when I said it worked in my previous post, I didn't try IE! *sigh*. In order to work in newer versions of IE, Firefox,Opera and Konqueror (haven't tried Safari), the following seems to work:marker.id = myID;marker.onclick = ShowDetails;function showDetails(e) {e = (e) ? e : window.event;_obj = (e.srcElement)?e.srcElement:e.target;var myMarkerId = _obj.id;...}

Archived