Downloaded Apache, now what?

coolgamer48

After spending a good deal of my time trying to find a good php5 server, I decided to stop looking for one and just go ahead and work off my own PC (just while I'm learning, I might go back and find one once I actually want to make a site). So, I followed the instructions on the second page of the PHP tutorial telling you to download PHP5, MySQL, and Apache server (I'm not ENTIRELY sure what any of these do). I installed PHP5 fine (I think). I installed MySQL, but something went wrong when I used the Instance Config Wizard (firewall problem). I'm assuming you only need that for the MySQL part of the tutorial, so I'll fix that problem later. Now I downloaded Apache server, and the .zip I downloaded doesn't have an install executable file or anything.So:1. If someone could explain exactly what each of these three things do, I'd be greatful.2. What do I do with the .zip I got from Apache? How do I actually install Apache?3. Once I install everything, what exactly do I do? How do I run php scripts? I might be able to figure this out on my own later, but given how much I understand about the technical details of how a server works, I doubt it.

One of the best tutorials about setting your own web server can be found at Tanguay.info.In addition to what you can see there, you need to know Apache has changed their page a little since then. The binary, which is what you need (not the ZIP) is now not included on the main download page. You can find it from the "Other files" link, from then going to "Binary/Win32". To save you the trouble, here's Apache 2.2.6 with OpenSSL included in case you'd later like to experiment with HTTPS configurations.

You know... nowadays there are programs that make all that configuration for you:Xamp, Wamp, AppServ...I personally use AppServ, all you have to do is click on "Next" , "Next".... well, you know what I mean.Try it!http://www.appservnetwork.com/PS:Now, the three things, in short words:1. PHP is the language you wanna learn (so obvious)2. Without Apache you can't see your PHP scripts3. MySQL is a Data Base handler if you wish to include some data base on your scripts.But, don't worry, AppServ includes all that and cofigure them for you.Have fun learning.

Apache is a web server. Since you typically configure PHP to work with your web server, you'll probably want to install the web server first. I use the Microsoft web server at home, it's fine for what I need. You can also check the installation guide on php.net, if you're manually installing make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. It usually takes me around 30 minutes to go through the installation, but every time I've followed the instructions it's worked for me. In every installation I've been asked to fix the problem was that whoever installed it skipped a step in the instructions.http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.php

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving a dead topic, but help?I installed AppServ (thanks for the tip killboy), but I get this error when I try to run Apache. It opens up in a cmd prompt so I can't copy it directly, but: Only one ussage of each socket address is ussualy permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address0.0.0.0: 80 no listening sockets available, shutting downunable to open logsAnyone know what this means and/or how I can fix it? I'm too crazy about this anymore, since I don't really like doing something I don't understand as much as I don't understand this, but I'd just like to see if I can get a server running.

If you have installed Apache as a stand alone program, remove it and try to run AppServ again (or reinstall it).If you have Skype running, try to exit it while you are running AppServ.If you have IIS (another web server by Microsoft), disable it. If you don't know whether you have it on or off, chances are it's off, so don't worry about that.

Archived