Hide/show various sections on page

kurt.santo

Working on page, where I want form content of two forms to be hidden and shown when the user clicks onto relevant heading. I managed to assemble various scripts and made it work for one form, but do not know how to change code, so it loops through all <h3> and does the same to all of them. The code that needs to change is (or so I think at least;-)):

sc.head=document.getElementsByTagName('h3')[0];

(page plus complete code can be found under http://www.jalp.co.uk/testing/js/hideShowForm.htm).Kurt

document.getElementsByTagName returns an array of elements of a specific type.The line the you provided simply gets the first element in that array:

document.getElementsByTagName('h3')[0];

If you want to loop through the array, you can use a for loop:

var heads = document.getElementsByTagName("h3");for(var i = 0; i < heads.length; i++){	var head = heads[i];	// do something with each h3 here.}

It is working for me... clicking on "Form 1" reveals / hides an additional input.

It is working for me... clicking on "Form 1" reveals / hides an additional input.
Synook,It is working for first form, but not for second. I am after a script that would do this with any heading appearing on the page...jesh,Thank you for your input. I put it as adviced to:
init:function(){    sc.head=document.getElementsByTagName("h3");    if(!sc.head){return;} 	for(var i = 0; i < sc.head.length; i++) {    sc.ad=DOMhelp.closestSibling(sc.head,1);    sc.ad.style.display='none';    var t=DOMhelp.getText(sc.head);    var collapseLink=DOMhelp.createLink('#',t);    sc.head.replaceChild(collapseLink,sc.head.firstChild);    DOMhelp.addEvent(collapseLink,'click',sc.peekaboo,false)    collapseLink.onclick=function(){return;}} // Safari fix  }

, but now it complains that "tempObj has no properties". I assume the problem lies in my DOMhelp.closestSibling function, which is:

closestSibling:function(node,direction){		var tempObj;		if(direction==-1 && node.previousSibling!=null){			tempObj=node.previousSibling;			while(tempObj.nodeType!=1 && tempObj.previousSibling!=null){				 tempObj=tempObj.previousSibling;			}		}else if(direction==1 && node.nextSibling!=null){			tempObj=node.nextSibling;			while(tempObj.nodeType!=1 && tempObj.nextSibling!=null){				 tempObj=tempObj.nextSibling;			}		}		return tempObj.nodeType==1?tempObj:false;

, but cannot understand what is wrong with it...Does anyone have an idea? Complete code on webpage mentioned above...Kurt

Archived