Website layout/sizing

astralaaron

Just wondering how you guys go about sizing / laying out websites...do you use percentages to size everything? since there are so many different screen sizes and resolutions..i have always used pixels but always notice my website is tiny on some computes and huge on others...just wondering what you guys have to say about it...

There are many ways to make a design that will work ok for most computers.The way I think is best is giving the page a static width of around 760px.Another thing could be to make it have 100% width and height and allow it to resize with the window. Then there's also the sites that have 100% width, allowing it to be resized horizontally, but allowing vertical scrolling.I've also tried making a small box in the middle of the screen with a static width and height, a compact site.

Try not to use any percentage besides 100% on websites, because if you do then they end up looking really weird at high resolutions. Generally you try to have some elements that are fixed-width, and then others which take up the rest of the space.

Archived