Transfering domains

louandel

HiHaving chosen a new host I need to transfer my domains over and i just need a little help with the options that are open to me. fo instance, i want to go with Servergrid but they are telling me they do anot accept pre-purchased plans. therefore i need to keep the domain on a registration only plan with my old host and repoint the domain to the new host. This is fair enough but gets a bit messy. Is there a way of transfering a domain so the actual domain is with the new host? And would I likely be charged for registering with the new host ?thankslouandel

i dont think i quite understand...but when you choose a new host, you need to point your domain names to the hosts server, by changing the namersevers of the domain name in the control panel for that domain name, where ever you bought it from. This nameserver changes take 24-48 hours to take effect.Then you need to go into your new hosts control panel (your cp of your account with them) and add the domain name onto your account. Then reload all your files up. Or, if you have a backup file, use that (or ask your host how to use the backup file, usually ends with .gz).Does that help at all?:)

The problem is that he bought a combined plan from his old provider: hosting + domain name. Now, he has moved his hosting to a new company but (?) the old host won't release his domain name, so now he has the domain held by the old provider and the hosting supplied by the new one. Am I right?Can't you get your old host to just drop the domain name so you can "re-purchase" it with the new provider?

no, no, no, never "let go" or "drop" your domain name - that is suicide these days.First you have to understand one thing, web hosting and domain name registration are two seperate things - even if they are bundled.Second, managing your hosting server (therefore) is seperate from managing your domain name. You "package" simply utilized a third party domain registrar service.What ToDo, well, if your new host doesn't have the ability to manage a domain name registration do not be surprised. But they should be able to manage your domain name server definitions since you are joining their network. So, the best thing to do is to find out exactly where (with whom) your domain name is registered with. Then make sure you have the ability to log in there and make any changes you want. Get used to managing hosting and domain names exclusive from each other - it will simply make your life easier (your case in point).With the host I use, its easy:

• make sure you have control of the old hosting environment
  • make sure you have control of the current domain name registry service
    • if not, create an account at a registry service like networksolutions.com or godaddy.com
    • transfer the domain name to the new account

[*] purchase your new hosting service[*] define the new domain name in your new hosting service[*] upload and access the new site by IP address ot make sure everything is function[*] log into your new domain name registry and change the pointers from the old site to the new

I know there are details left out that would make this process more clear, but that is the gist of it.Most importantly, you should get used to the idea of managing your hosting separate from your domain names.

To sum up what I believe Skemcin means,DO NOT BUY BUNDLE PACKAGESInstead, buy them separately.

To sum up what I believe Skemcin means,DO NOT BUY BUNDLE PACKAGESInstead, buy them separately.
Thanks skemcin and boen-robot. that has given me a lot of insight into how it all fits together.Getting in contact with the registrar myself seems like opening the door to a whole lot of configuration stuff which I dont know about. (unless its quite straight forward?). But would i be able to release the domain from my old host this way?The other thing is my old host has said they will put me on a domain registration plan only and then point to the new host. At simply the cost of the each domain it doesnt seem too bad. Just messy.I guess im over cautious in an area im learning about if you guys have any other pearls of wisdom id welcome it.thankslouandel

Let me just say that I know first hand exactly (and I mean exactly) how you feel. There is no hand book out there for this stuff and its not common knowledge. No provider is going to volunteer the information since it might result in loosing some service.When I began working on sites 10+ years ago I had NO idea how all this stuff worked and it took me a couple years to really figure it all out. Mind you I had NO resources - no forum or discussion board, not nearly the amount of internet related resources (google had barely gotten started), etc. Needless to say I know EXACTLY how you feel.Having said that, I will be honest, its not all that straight froward but its not rocket since unless you want it to be. To make my point, understand that the hosting provider you choose greatly affects just how much stuff you need to know. Pick a service that is cheap/inexpensive that appears to give you a ton of flexibility then you will have more control and therefore more complexity to understand - typically providers based on free open ware apps. A slightly more expensive service provider might seem a turn off on the wallet, but if they offer 24/7 person support it could turn out to be a very good learning experience. When I got started, I unknowingly chose the first.But enough chit chat - lets get to the action items you are faced with. First, you have to understand some basic principles about your domain name. It can be configured to point to all ports of places. If you have the knowledge to do so it can be quite fun. If you don't then then you will typically only need to understand how to point it to two places - your web site and your mail server. For every "point" you wish to define, each must have their OWN global IP address. This is how mail.iribbit.net net and iribbit.net (with any other prefix) is defined. A hosting service or domain registrar will have some online tools to help you configure these. This is easy enough to do but if you get into sub domains and having somethings stored at different locations and you want domains pointing all over the place - well thats back to complexity nature of domain names.Personally, I prefer having all my domain names registered at Network Solutions. I prefer their administration tool and I prefer their support (I can talk to a human anytime I want). I get VIP pricing since I've been there so long, but if you buy a domain at their going rate and then threaten to leave/transfer you can get a rate reduced to the godaddy ($8.99) price with good persuasion. Speaking of godaddy, I do have a couple names registered there too - I just do not like their user interface - overridden with advertising. Next time NS offers free transfers, I'm consolidating. All in all, I'd recommend transfering your domain name to a real registrar unless the current one is more affordable and only has a web tool that allows you minimal control over your pointers.This all may seem messy, but it really isn't. Think of it like how the postal service would work if they didn't deliver to your house and everyone had to have a P.O. Box. Your physical address may change from time to time (where you host your web site) but how people reach you (your post office box) stays the same. But hosting services market to the unknown that having everything under once roof is convenient and the first timers buy into that. But those change of address forms and notifying all our banks and credit cards that we moved is more of pain than its worth - so seperate the two and you will only ever have to know one services domain management tools and not those of the provider you happen to be with at the time.I've admitted rambled on a little and might have gone all over the map here, but if you have any concerns or more detailed questions, please send me a PM and maybe we can chat off-line and get you more comfortable with the whole process.

@SkemcinI just wanted to point something out since you mentioned GoDaddy but it applies to alot of other hosting companies too.Before you buy any hosting package be sure that you will have full DNS control once you have pointed your domain to your hosts name servers (with GoDaddy you do not).I bought a GoDaddy hosting package for unlimited domains. It required me to setup a "primary domain". I have full control of the primary domain but other domains I have pointed to Godaddy only let me setup folder redirection and subdomains. This may not be a problem for some people but it is for me (and anyone that requires email for each domain). You can't change the MX records with Godaddy (probably because they want you to buy email hosting for each domain).

Skemcin: thanks for spending the time to outline how domains, dns and hosts work topgether. You are right. It is going to take a bit of time to get it into my head which i think i will only learn by actually doing it (and making a few mistakes.) but thanks to your stuff i know now what questions to ask and what options I have. when i dive in i may well take you up on your offer of contacting you by PM to get it clear in my head. Thanks.aspnetguy: again thanks. this is useful stuff.I will look forward to the time when I can pay all you guys back when I have a bit of knowledge myself. Im getting it.louandel

Glad to help. Feel free to contact me as you prepare to pull the trigger - I can appreciate where peace of mind can go a long way when dealing with this type of change over. Since propagation can take anywhere from 1 hr. to 72 hrs. eliminating errors is important to reduce any downtime one might experience.Let me know and good luck.

Archived